Poppy Seed Cake – a quick and easy cake recipe that comes together in minutes. Moist, delicious, and great for dessert, or with a cup of coffee.
Easy desserts are a must. You need a few of those recipes that you can go-to when you have last minute guests, or are invited to something last minute. This is one you are going to want to print out and hang on to! Poppy Seed Cake starts with a box cake mix and turns into something extra special!
Plus it is topped with a light glaze that brings it all together and makes it super tasty.
Poppy Seed Cake starts with a box cake mix, and then you just add a couple of ingredients to help turn it into something different. Sour cream is added and the cake is so moist and tender! Skip the directions on the back of the box and just use the mix in this recipe.
Poppy Seed Cake Ingredients
- Butter Cake Mix
- Vegetable Oil
- All-Purpose Flour
- Sour Cream
- Poppy Seeds
The glaze for this cake is optional, but I kind of think it is required. It is so easy to make. It isn’t like a full on frosting, just a light glaze that adds something extra to the cake. I use almond extract in the glaze, so it gives the cake just a little more flavor.
How To Make Poppy Seed Cake
- Using an electric mixer add all of the ingredients to the bowl and mix until it is well combined. It will take about 2 minutes to really get it to come together.
- Pour into prepared bundt pan and bake for 45-60 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes to cool slightly. Turn it over onto a wire rack to let it cool completely.
- If use the glaze, mix everything together. Pour over completely cooled cake.
Preparing A Bundt Pan
You really need to make sure you well grease a bundt pan so that the cake comes out clean. Another trick that I have found is to dust it with sugar! The sugar does something to help the cake rise up the sides and bake up well. Plus you get a nice sugary coating on the outside.
This is such a great cake to make for a get together or even have as a snack with a cup of coffee. Trust me, it is one of those really easy desserts that everyone is going to be asking for the recipe.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
- Strawberry Crumb Bars
- Strawberry Poke Cake
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- Lemon Blueberry Cake
- French Silk Pie
- Boston Cream Pie Parfaits
- Strawberry Cake
- 1 (15.25 oz) Duncan Hines Butter Cake Mix
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 ( 8 oz) container sour cream
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3-4 Tbsp milk
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan very well. Also dust with a coating of granulated sugar.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the cake together in an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Turn over onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- If use the glaze, mix everything together until it is a consistency you can drizzle.
- Pour over completely cooled cake.
Amount Per Serving Calories 390Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 93mgSodium 102mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 1gSugar 29gProtein 7g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!