Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake – a super moist lemon yogurt cake studded with fresh blueberries and topped with a lemon glaze.
Today is my husband’s birthday! Do you do anything special for birthday’s at your house? We are going out to dinner to a restaurant of my husband’s choice. After that we will have his favorite dessert; Cookie Cake. The rest of the weekend is pretty much whatever he wants to do. I think we are headed up to the mountains to go snow shoeing on Saturday.
I have a little special outing planned on Sunday, we will see what he thinks. We are headed to a new place in Denver, I hope he really likes! I can’t say too much yet, because it is a surprise; and today is the day he will probably actually read my blog.
I am loving all the citrus that is around right now. I think limes were 10 for $1 last week! I wish I could stock up on them, but I just don’t go through them quickly enough. Instead, I took advantage the huge sale on lemons and made this lemon blueberry yogurt cake. Lemons and blueberries are a great combination.
And this cake is no exception. Sweet, a little tart, and then the juicy blueberries. So bright and fresh tasting. Plus, it is super easy. No mixer required, just a bowl and a spatula. No layers or frosting to deal with. Just a simple, but delicious cake. This Strawberry Yogurt Cake looks like another tasty dessert.
I used Greek yogurt in this cake. The cake is so moist and fluffy. I sent it to work with my husband and I was shocked at how quickly it disappeared. Fresh blueberries were on sale, so that is what I used. You could easily use frozen blueberries as well. I would just let them thaw and pat them dry first. The lemon glaze on top is purely optional. But really? A glaze is never all that optional. It is jut a mix of powdered sugar with a little lemon juice, so it really helps bring out the tartness in the cake. Such a light and great dessert!
- 1 1/2 cups +2 Tbls flour , divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 lemon , zested
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbls lemon juice (approximately)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together vegetable oil and sugar. Add vanilla and eggs. Mixing until well combined. Add the zest and juice of a lemon.
- Alternate mixing in yogurt and flour mixture in 2 batches. Do not over mix.
- In a bowl toss blueberries with 2 Tbls flour until well coated.
- Fold blueberries into cake batter.
- Pour into a 9 inch spring form pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl mix together powdered sugar and lemon juice until desired consistency.
- Remove the outside of the spring form pan. Drizzle cake with the glaze.
**This post is brought to you as part of a the Stonyfield blogger program. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts possible.