Lemon Bars – a buttery shortbread crust with a creamy lemon filling. Top with powdered sugar for a sweet, tart, and delicious treat!
I love lemon desserts. It can be something that is no bake and super creamy like Lemon Lasagna Dessert. Or it can be cookies. I am an equal opportunity lemon dessert person. Lemon Crinkle Cookies are so good and so easy to make.
I did not grow up with lemon dessert recipes. In my family it was chocolate on chocolate all the time. Homemade Brownies were a staple every weekend. My dad is a completely choco-aholic, so that was pretty much all we had. Don’t get me wrong, I loved it. But now that I can make my own desserts, it is nice to switch it up sometimes. And Lemon Bars are one of my favorite ways to mix it up.
I think this may have been the first lemon bar recipe that I have ever made. I made Lemonade Pie a couple years ago, but this is the first real bar that I tried. They are sweet, tangy, tart, and just plain good! My husband is not a fan of chocolate, so he loves it when I mix up what I am making.
I love this easy lemon bar recipe because it just takes a couple steps and a few ingredients to make. The crust is like a shortbread cookie crust. It is sweet, buttery, flaky, and delicious! It is perfect for the tart lemon filling.
When you are making this lemon bar recipe it is best to use fresh lemon juice. It is just so much better than the bottled stuff. It can take awhile to squeeze 1/2 cup of lemon juice, but trust me, it is so worth it! My mom made this recipe for lemon bars with lemons from her tree and it was even better. There is just something about fresh lemons.
Strawberry lemonade bars are pretty much the exact same recipe with fresh strawberries mixed in. So not quite as tart, and sweet from the strawberries. So if you want to get the pretty pink color and mix it up, that is a fun twist you can put on lemon bars.
I love these easy lemon bars, because they come together quickly without a ton of work, and everyone loves them! Once they cool dust them with a little powdered sugar. It helps make them pretty, because when they bake the filling gets a little bubbly on top.
I don’t like to store lemon bars in the fridge, because it just soaks in the powdered sugar and leave a layer of moisture on top of the bars. So I just store them covered at room temperature. And if you need to dust with more powdered sugar to serve them later, not a big deal!
Lemon Bars - a buttery shortbread crust with a creamy lemon filling. Top with powdered sugar for a sweet, tart, and delicious treat! .
- 2 cups flour , sifted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter , cut into cubs
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degree. Spray a 13x9 inch pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, powdered sugar, and butter. Using your hands, mix until it comes together as a dough. Press into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile in an electric mixer bowl mix together sugar, eggs, and lemon juice. Mix on medium speed for 4-5 minutes; until light, fluffy, and the sugar is completely dissolved. Add flour and baking powder, and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour over the baked crust. Return to the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar, and serving.
If you want the bars to be a little more tart add 1 tsp of lemon zestbr]
Adapted from [Food.com