Watermelon Bellinis – a fun summer twist on the classic Bellini using fresh watermelon. A refreshing cocktail recipe for a summer get together.
We have been home for less than a week from visiting family in Wisconsin, and my son is ready to go crazy. Apparently 11 days of straight entertainment, means regular summer break life is boring. He has band camp every day, but that is only for an hour. The good news is he is really liking playing the trombone, and is getting lots of time practicing and doing his homework. Now if I could get him to do the math work he should be doing to get ready for the advanced math class he will be in when school starts, I would call it a success.
In case you haven’t noticed, July has been drink month. Every Friday I have shared a new drink recipe on the blog. We started with a Red Wine Spritzer, then had a Black Cherry Limeade. The non-alcoholic Peach Tea Punch is a definite summer favorite. Last week I made Blueberry Margaritas and today we have Watermelon Bellinis. Lots of new drink recipes, and hopefully enough drinks to get you through summer, and any every other season.
We make Bellinis in my family, almost every holiday. Pomegranate Bellini’s are usually the staple, but we have also done pear and strawberry before. I put a summer twist on them this time, and used fresh watermelon. Super easy to make too! I used the blender to puree the watermelon with the sugar and lemon juice. Then I let that chill before pouring it into glasses and topping with sparkling wine. You can make this with club soda, or sparkling white grape juice for a non-alcoholic version. My son was not happy when I made this and he couldn’t have any. All I had was Sprite at home, so I used that and he loved it. Pretty enough to serve at any summer get together. There is just something about that pink color that gets me every time.
- 3 cups watermelon, , seeded and cubed
- 2 Tbls lemon juice
- 2 Tbls sugar
- 1 bottle sweet sparkling wine, (Club Soda or Sparkling White Grape Juice for non-alcoholic)
- In a blender combine watermelon, lemon juice and sugar. Process until smooth.
- Place in fridge until cold.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of watermelon mixture into the bottom of each champagne flute. Top with sparkling wine.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light http://www.cookinglight.com/food/top-rated-recipes/five-star-cocktails/watermelon-bellinis_2
More Recipes You Might Like:
- Watermelon Mojito Cooler by Blahnik Baker
- Frozen Watermelon Margaritas by The Cookie Rookie
- The Firecracker – Watermelon, Lime, and Cucumber Cocktail by Creative Culinary
- Watermelon Green Tea Refresher by The Busy Baker