Summer is here! Yesterday we even went to the beach. There is a state park about 10 minutes away from where we live that has a nice beach. The kids played in the sand, played on the playground, and enjoyed the water. I am looking forward to more days like this as the summer goes by. Unfortunately, I think they will be few and far between. I can’t believe how full our calendar is this summer. We were supposed to move this weekend, but that has been pushed back a couple weeks. I already had a great line-up of guest posters set up, so for the next couple weeks I will be featuring some of my favorite bloggers.
I am also in the process of setting up a bake sale auction to help raise money for the High Park Fire victims in Fort Collins. The auction will be on July 8th. I have 25+ amazing bloggers donating some great items for you to bid on. I also have some great raffle prizes! Le Creuset, Green Mountain Coffee, Kerrygold Cheese…… Mark your calendars and make sure to come back on the 8th!! If you are interested in donating, let me know, I still have a couple slots left.
I can’t leave you empty handed before I go! I have Pork Carnitas! These are perfect for summer. They are made in the crock pot. You might think that is strange for summer, but think about it. No oven, gives off very little heat, you get to enjoy the beach while dinner cooks? Sounds like a win to me. So go pour yourself a drink, and have these for dinner
A friend sent me this recipe, that she got from a friend, so I have no idea what the source is. You can serve these with whatever toppings you like. I did traditional taco toppings: cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, guacamole etc. I also have plans for the leftovers, so stay tuned.
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (3-4 pounds)
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1½ cups cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup tequila (or additional chicken broth)
- 1 (7oz) can chopped green chilies
- Toppings as desired
- Cut the pork roast in half, and place in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with sliced garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add green onions, cilantro, salsa, chicken broth, tequila, and chilies. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the meat, and shred. Place the pork back in the slow cooker. Cover and heat for an additional 30-60 minutes.
- Serve in warm tortillas and top as desired.