Memorial Day is all about grilling right? So we spent the weekend using our grill as much as we could! Brats, hot dogs, chicken, ribs, potatoes – pretty much every meal! It was great to get out of the “kitchen” and be outside!
Ribs have to be one our favorites, and have been for awhile. But they are a special treat – we probably only make them once or twice a year. Our son used to love them. When he was 2 and thought they were the best. But for the last couple years he wouldn’t touch them. With his new found love of pork chops, I figured I could get these past him. I started by just cutting some meat off the bone and let him eat it like that – fail. Then I turned him on to the novelty of getting dirty and being able to eat it straight from the bone – success! Should have known, 6 year old boy = messy! He must have eaten a whole 1/2 rack of ribs that way. Proud moment for Daddy!
We have been making this recipe for years. I got it off one of those imitation of a restaurant sites. It is supposed to be how Tony Roma’s does their Blue Ridge Smokey Ribs.
This recipe is also linked on It’s a Keeper Thursday
- 2 Full racks of Baby Back Ribs
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 rounded tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, whisk together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Brush both sides of ribs with sauce. Wrap with foil. Place on a baking sheet, and bake for 2 - 2 1/2 hours (depends on how thick your ribs are).
- Remove from oven, and place on a super hot grill. Baste with additional sauce. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side to caramelize the sauce. You can use your broiler if you don't have a grill.
- Serve with additional sauce.
Serving Size4 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 722 Total Fat 34g Saturated Fat 12g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 20g Cholesterol 132mg Sodium 1256mg Carbohydrates 65g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 0g Sugar 59g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 37g