Is anyone else amazed that it is May already? I have no idea where the time went. It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating Valentine’s Day. If today is the first day of May, you know what that means right? Cinco de Mayo is only 5 days away!! I will admit before I was a food blogger, the holiday meant nothing to me. I would eat Mexican every day of the week, if my husband would let me, it doesn’t take a holiday for that!
So far I have given you Baked Chicken Taquitos and Teedo’s Famous Salsa to get you ready for this weekend. Today we have a tostada. But not just any tastada. I used the copy cat recipe for Cafe Rio’s chicken! Have you ever been to Cafe Rio? I have, once. I wasn’t sure what meat to get, so they let me sample the chicken. Let me tell you, it was amazing!! So juicy, flavorful, tender, and just perfect. So when I was thinking of putting chicken in the crock pot to have on hand for the Taquitos and the tostadas, I looked around and found the perfect recipe.
These Cafe Rio Chicken Tostadas are super easy to make. You put the chicken in the crock pot in the morning. When you come home all you have to do is shred the meat, chop whatever toppings you want, and you are done! I topped mine with some traditional taco toppings; lettuce, tomato, black olives, and guacamole. You could add cheese, salsa, green onions, beans…whatever your family likes! Want to know an added bonus? Everyone can make their own. No one has to pick around what they don’t like.
Cafe Rio Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup Italian dressing
- 3 cloves garlic, , minced
- 1/2 Tbls chili powder
- 1/2 Tbls ground cumin
- 3 Tbsp Ranch Dressing Mix
- 1/2 cup water
- Tostada shells, (prepackaged or corn tortillas crisped in the oven)
- Black Olives
- Refried Beans
- Combine everything but the chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker. Mix until well combined. Add chicken, tossing to coat. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked, use 2 forks to shred the meat. Add back to slow cooker, and mix with all the juices.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat tostada shells for 2 minutes per side.
- Top each tostada shell with desired toppings.
Cafe Rio Chicken adapted from Today's Creative Blog The chicken makes enough for about 10 people. Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to a 3 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Amount Per Serving Calories 237Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 80mgSodium 568mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 31g