Avocado Grilled Cheese – up your grilled cheese sandwich by adding buttery avocado. It is the perfect combination for a delicious and gooey sandwich!
I grew up in Wisconsin, where a grilled cheese sandwich was always something special. We didn’t have processed cheese for sandwiches, it was always a block of cheese from the local cheese shop. And to this day, my family is still very picky about their Grilled Cheese.
I like to mix things up like this Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese or whenever we have leftovers like Smoked Pork Belly, we always add it to sandwiches. Takes them to a whole new level. Just like avocado in this version.
What You’ll Need
- Bread – pick up a loaf from the bakery for the best results
- Bacon – optional, but makes for a tasty and delicious sandwich.
I like to add bacon to this grilled cheese to take things up a notch. It is 100% optional, so if you want to keep it vegetarian/meat-free or just don’t like bacon you can definitely leave it out. But bacon and avocado go so well together, I am sure you will like it if you try it.
How To Make Avocado Grilled Cheese
- Arrange 2 slices of bread in front of you. Preheat large skillet to medium heat, while you assemble the sandwich.
- Place the cheese on 1 slice of bread. Arrange the avocado slices over the cheese.
- Top with slices of bacon if you are using them, and top with the other slice of bread.
- Spread butter over the outside of the sandwich and place in hot skillet.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, until golden brown. Flip and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Pro Tip!!! Speed things up a little, and burn less bread by covering the pan as the sandwich cooks. This traps the heat and melts the cheese faster. Keep and eye on it no matter what, so you don’t burn the bread.
Best Cheese For Grilled Cheese
My family is partial to Long Horn Colby straight from Wisconsin, where we are originally from. But there are lots of great options. Whatever your favorite is, if it melts well, it will work really well in this sandwich.
- Colby Jack
- Pepper Jack
Best Bread for Avocado Grilled Cheese
I like to use fresh Sourdough from the grocery store bakery, but you really can use just about anything. Even the sandwich bread you have in your pantry works great. But the better the bread, the more upscale your sandwich will be.
- French Bread
- English Muffin Bread
- Italian Bread
What Goes With Grilled Cheese
Sandwich night is my go-to for busy nights. So the side dishes need to be super easy as well!
This really is best eaten right away, but don’t worry leftovers last for up to 2 days in the fridge. I like to wrap in foil, to help keep it from getting too soggy. Then it you re-toast in a skillet to get the bread crispy and the cheese melted again.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
- Air Fryer Tacos
- Chipotle Chicken Bowls
- Pan Seared Salmon
- Grilled Avocado Chicken
- Turkey Club Sandwich
Avocado Grilled Cheese
Avocado Grilled Cheese - up your grilled cheese sandwich by adding buttery avocado. It is the perfect combination for a delicious and gooey sandwich!
- 2 strips bacon, cooked (optional)
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 slices Colby Cheese
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- To assemble the sandwich lay a slice of cheese on each piece of bread. Arrange the sliced avocado over 1 of the slices of cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Top with strips of bacon and the 2nd piece of bread.
- Spread butter on the outside of the sandwich.
- Place in a large skillet over medium heat until toasted. Flip the sandwich, and cook until the other side is toasted and the cheese is melty!
Serving Size1 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 716Saturated Fat 23gCholesterol 103mgSodium 995mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 6gSugar 4gProtein 25g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Did you know there is a Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts SHOP? Lots of different E-Books for sale. Or you can buy me a coffee to say thanks!
- 4th Of July Poke Cake - June 6, 2023
- Strawberry Jelly - June 5, 2023
- Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla - June 2, 2023
Wednesday 28th of September 2022
I love this! My mom enjoyed making this with me too!
Tuesday 27th of September 2022
Such a heaven-sent! I love this so much!
Saturday 24th of September 2022
I love anything with avocado! And this one is just really amazing! So good!
Saturday 24th of September 2022
I would like to wake up with these grilled cheese! I love the addition of avocado!
Friday 23rd of September 2022
This is one of my favorite grilled cheese recipes to make. I always have it in my rotation. The rustic texture and that smooth avocado are just perfect.