Chewy Coconut Chocolate Chip Granola Bars – chewy granola bars with coconut and chocolate chips. Super easy to make, and great to have one hand for snacks, lunches or even breakfasts!
Do you do girls/guys night on a regular basis? Everyone talks about how important it is to go out and make time for your spouse. I completely agree with that, family is by far the most important thing in my life. But going out with my girlfriends is sometimes almost as important. A few nights ago a group of us went out to a local restaurant. There were 16 of us total, and it was one of the best nights I have had in a long time. So much laughing, yummy food, and such a great time. I came home totally relaxed and ready to take on the world the next day. Something that we really do need to make happen more often.
I love making homemade snacks. Granola bars, energy bars, and homemade protein bars are favorites at our house. My 9 year old is always super excited to come home from school and find out I made something for him. He likes to have them after school, take them in his lunch, or even have them as part of his breakfast in the morning. I am always happy to make him something he likes, that I know is good for him, and doesn’t have all the stuff the packaged bars have in them. These Chewy Coconut Chocolate Chip Granola Bars are one of his new favorites.
The bars are made with whole wheat flour, your favorite granola, coconut, and then whatever add-ins you want. I have tried with dried cranberries, raisins, chocolate chips and even apricots. All are good, but given we are chocolate obsessed, chocolate chips are our favorite mix in. You can definitely mix it up and use what your family likes the best. I used a small fraction of the sugar the original recipe called for because I use chocolate. So be sure to test it out and play around with the ratios if you change it up.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 Tbls skim milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granola
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, (or other mix-ins)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13x9 inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside
- In a large bowl whisk together honey, canola oil, milk, and eggs until smooth.
- Slowly add flour, and mix until well combined.
- Fold in granola, chocolate chips and coconut.
- Spread into the bottom prepared pan. It will be sticky, using damp hands helps to press out the dough.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until set, and the edges start to turn golden brown.
- Let cool completely before cutting.
Adapted from Cooking Light
Amount Per Serving Calories 215Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 24mgSodium 137mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 3gSugar 18gProtein 5g
Want even more snack recipes?