Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich – Soft chocolate chip cookies sandwiched around creamy vanilla ice cream and coated in sprinkles! A Chipwich is a fun and easy dessert that everyone will love this summer!
I have heard these cookies called quite a few different things over the years, and personally I don’t think it matters! You can call it a Chipwich, you can call it a cookie Ice Cream Sandwich, you can even call it an Ice Cream Sandwich Cookie….they all refer to the same thing. Which is just pure deliciousness!
These were a classic when I was a kid, and probably my favorite thing to pick when I was allowed to get something from the ice cream truck. But now, you can make them at home and have them in your freezer whenever you want!
What Is A Chipwich?
It is a dessert that consists of 2 chocolate chip cookie and ice cream. You sandwich the ice cream in the middle of the two cookies, and then it is often times rolled in either mini chocolate chips or sprinkles on the outside. Both are delicious, it really just depends what you are in the mood for.
But you can see why it is often times called a cookie ice cream sandwich as well. It is cookies and ice cream sandwiched together! Chipwich was original created by Crave Better Foods LLC, so they trademarked the name and made it what we all know and love today.
What Cookies Are Good For Ice Cream Sandwiches
You really can go with just about any cookie and ice cream combo you like. Obviously I went with chocolate chip for these, but here are a few other great options!
- Brownie Cookies
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookie
- Sugar Cookies
- Butterscotch Pudding Cookies
I like to use a good quality vanilla ice cream for these ice cream sandwiches, but you really can mix up the flavor. If you use sugar cookies, pairing with a cake batter flavored ice cream would be a delicious idea. Or brownies cookies with mint chip ice cream? Delicious! Just make sure you use a good quality ice cream, so it is nice and creamy and doesn’t crystalize on you.
How To Make Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies
- Start by making your cookies. Heck you can even use store bought cookies. Just get whatever cookies you are using baked and cooled. Try to get them the same size, so they match up and make sandwiches easily.
- Before you assemble, let your ice cream soften for about 10 minutes, so you can scoop and spread it a little bit easier.
- Line up your cookies and their matching tops in front of you. Scoop ice cream and spread about 1 inch thick into the base of each cookie. Top with the other cookie and place them on a baking tray. Put the tray in the freezer to let the ice cream set up for about 20 minutes, or until it is pretty solid again.
- Place sprinkles or mini chocolate chips onto a small plate, and take one chipwich at a time and roll the ice cream through until it sticks.
- Place back in the freezer for about an hour until they are completely frozen.
How To Store Ice Cream Sandwiches
The obvious answer is in the freezer. I like to place them in a single layer on a baking tray or a large plastic container. Then cover to make sure it is air tight and they will last for about 2 months.
You can also wrap each one in plastic wrap and store in a freezer safe plastic bag.
More Fun Summer Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Milkshakes
- No Bake Mint Chocolate Chip Pie
- Ice Cream Sandwich Icebox Cake
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- Strawberry Cheesecake Lasagna
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- Double Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Hot Fudge Sauce
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich - Soft chocolate chip cookies sandwiched around creamy vanilla ice cream and coated in sprinkles! A Chipwich is a fun and easy dessert that everyone will love this summer!
- 24 chocolate chip cookies
- 3 cups Vanilla Ice cream
- Match up like sizes of cookies. Arrange them in on the counter, so they are ready to fill.
- Let ice cream soften for about 10 minutes, so you can spread it on the cookies.
- Using a generous 1/4 cup of ice cream, spread onto the base of a cookie. You want the filling to be about 1 inch thick.
- Top with the matching cookie, and press down slightly. Place on a baking tray and put in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Put sprinkles on a small plate and roll the ice cream through the sprinkles to coat.
- Place back in the freezer for about an hour to harden before serving
To make assembling these a little easier, let the ice cream soften. Spread ice cream about 1 inch thick onto a baking sheet with sides. Press firmly, using plastic wrap. Pop it back into the freezer to harden completely. Use a plastic cup, about the size of the cookies, as a cookie cutter to get disks of ice cream to put between the cookies.
Amount Per Serving Calories 365Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 15mgSodium 213mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 1gSugar 27gProtein 4g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Did you know there is a Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts SHOP? Check out all of my E-books as well as branded merchandise HERE! Or you can buy me a coffee to say thanks!
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
- Chocolate Pizza - March 20, 2023
- Chicken Taco Soup - March 17, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
Beti | easyweeknightrecipes says
I can’t wait to make these for my kids!! The perfect summer treat!
Oh my goodness! This is the perfect treat for my family!
These would be so fun for the kids!
Amanda Livesay says
These are genius! We’ve been making them the last few nights – so easy and so delicious!