Hot Fudge Sauce – Smooth, velvety and rich chocolate sauce that is the perfect topping for ice cream sundaes! Just a few ingredients and under 15 minutes to make, so much better than store bought!
When you are at the store buying ice cream, they always have the shelf with all the different ice cream toppings right next to it. It is very convenient to just grab a jar and go, but if you want to take your ice cream to the next level, skip it and try this homemade chocolate sauce recipe instead. It is really super quick and easy to make and you will never look back!
Making hot fudge sauce recipe at home is really super easy. It takes just a few basic ingredients that you heat together and that is it. You get a jar of this thick, luscious, chocolate-y goodness that will blow any store bought stuff out of the water. It is perfect for a bowl of ice cream on a hot summer day or you could add it to a Chocolate Milkshake to make it even more decadent.
This hot fudge sauce will last in the fridge for a few weeks, you can just reheat when you are ready to use it. Plus it is super easy to double the recipe if you need to make a lot of it, without any extra time involved.
How to Make Hot Fudge
- Mix together the butter, sugar, chocolate chip, evaporated milk, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, let it boil for 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Then you remove it from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- It is best served warm, so you can let it cool for a few minutes and then it is ready to use.
How to Store Hot Fudge
Let the hot fudge cool and then place it in an airtight container. It will last in the fridge for about 3 weeks. To use, just reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop and pour.
What Is The Difference Between Hot Fudge and Chocolate Sauce
The main difference between them is the consistency. Hot fudge sauce tends to be thicker while chocolate sauce is thinner and sometimes less rich. This is because a chocolate sauce is traditionally made with water or corn syrup, while hot fudge incorporates butter and milk or cream.
A common question when making this is “Why is my hot fudge sauce grainy?” This usually happens because the heat is too high. When the heat is too high the chocolate can almost burn and it breaks apart. This causes the grainy texture. So even though it can be a pain to wait for something to boil over a medium heat, it is what gives it the silky smooth texture.
Can You Freeze Hot Fudge Sauce
Yes you can. It might require a little bit of milk or cream to thin out once you thaw it. But it will freeze well if you have leftovers or want to make it ahead of time.
How To Use Hot Fudge
There are so many ways to use it, if a dessert sounds good with more chocolate – than go for it!
- Salted Caramel Brownies – top with ice cream and hot fudge for the most decadent dessert!
- No Churn Mint Ice Cream – drizzle over the top for a delicious mint and chocolate combo
- Peanut Butter Cream Pie – use in place of the chocolate in the recipe
- Deep Dish Cookies for Two – perfect drizzled on top
- Hot Fudge Crock Pot Brownies – take them to a whole new level
- Gooey Brownie Pie
- Skillet Cookie
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownies
- Oreo Poke Cake
- Peanut Butter Cup Dump Cake
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 oz evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a saucepan combine butter, chocolate chips, evaporated milk, sugar, and salt. Heat over medium until it starts to boil. Boil for 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla extract.
- Serve while warm
Store in the fridge for up to a month
Amount Per ServingCalories 136Saturated Fat 4gCholesterol 18mgSodium 135mgCarbohydrates 15gSugar 14gProtein 1g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!