Fudgy Salted Caramel Brownies – Rich, fudgy brownies that are filled with a layer of gooey salted caramel.
On Friday I shared with you my Dark Chocolate Mint Cupcakes that are part of a competition with Nestle. When they asked me to create something for them, I actually created two chocolate treats. This is the other recipe I tested. I was really happy when caramel was selected as the ingredient for this months #chocolateparty, because then I had a reason to share them with you right away!
These salted caramel brownies are really more than I hoped they would be. I am not big on the salty/sweet combo (gasp…I know), but I absolutely loved these. They were so fudgy, and gooey, and oozing with caramel you couldn’t help but fall in love. I decided to take it to the next level and top the brownies with ice cream and homemade hot fudge sauce. Seriously, not sure it gets any better!
I am firmly in the fudgy brownie camp. I made a few slight adjustments to the recipe I have been using since I was a little girl to come up with this new fudgier version. I melted pre-made caramels to pour over the brownie batter, and then sprinkled with a generous serving of sea salt. The brownies don’t actually taste salty. It just gives them that something extra that makes them special.
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate , melted
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 14 oz bag premade caramels , unwrapped
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 - 2 tsp sea salt
- Ice Cream
- Hot Fudge
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8 inch baking dish. Or line with foil, and spray with non-stick spray.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine caramels and evaporated milk. Microwave for 1 minute at a time until smooth, stirring well after each minute.
- In a bowl combine melted chocolate with canola oil. Add sugar, and eggs. Mix until well combined. Stir in flour and salt. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour 1/2 of the brownie batter into the bottom of prepared dish. Using your fingers if necessary, spread out in a thin layer. Pour melted caramel mixture over the top. Sprinkle sea salt over the caramel. Drop small pieces of batter over the caramel mixture. It will not completely cover, but that is ok.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until the top is set, and a tester comes out mainly clean.
- Let cool before serving.
In the mood for more Brownies?