Margarita Cupcakes – Lime flavored cupcakes that are spiked with tequila! Plus a boozy lime frosting to top it off. Great for taco night, Cinco de Mayo or just because. Non-alcoholic recipe included!
Are you a fan of boozy desserts? I don’t make a lot of them. Bailey’s Chocolate Cheesecake was the latest one I made. Bailey’s is just so good, it should be included in more things though. And Mudslide Brownies, you can’t forget those! Apparently Bailey’s is a theme in my boozy desserts.
Oh, wait. I also made Frozen Key Lime Margarita Squares. Those have a little bit of tequila in the mix too. Well these margarita cupcakes date back to the first few months of me blogging, and I think the first time I ever put alcohol in desserts.
These margarita cupcakes are great for any Cinco de Mayo party, taco night, or just because. You don’t really need an excuse to make cupcakes do you? You can make these cupcakes without any alcohol and they are still delicious. I actually did that a couple weeks ago when I shared them at a neighborhood get together. I just didn’t want to have to worry about kids or people questioning anything.
If you leave the alcohol out, these margarita cupcakes kind of become lime cupcakes. And trust me, there is nothing wrong with that. The bright, fresh flavor of lime is great in a cupcake. It isn’t over powering, just enough so you know what is there.
The kids at the party loved these, and they disappeared quickly. Plus these are completely from scratch, so you can feel extra proud of yourself for making them. I am all about a little help from the store, but these are so easy to make, you won’t even miss the box mix.
Are you looking for even more cupcake recipes?
Dark Chocolate Mint Cupcakes
Brownie Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting
Cherry Coke Float Cupcakes by Living Locurto
Devil’s Food Cupcakes with Fluffy Frosting by Taste and Tell
Margarita Cupcakes - Lime flavored cupcakes that are spiked with tequila! Plus a boozy lime frosting to top it off. Great for taco night, Cinco de Mayo or just because. Non-alcoholic recipe included!
- 1/4 cup margarita mix
- 1 cup milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp tequila
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter , softened
- 1 tbls milk
- 3 tbls margarita mix
- 1 tbls tequila (optional)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- lime zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with liners.
- In large bowl, mix together margarita mix, milk, egg whites, oil, tequila, vanilla and sugar together.
- In a small bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to liquids and stir until just combined.
- Divide evenly into 12 muffin tins.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Turn onto wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting - Cream everything together. Add in more sugar or milk to make the frosting spreadable.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cool, top with frosting
Adapted from A Cup Full
To make these cupcakes non-alcoholic just leave out the tequila. You can use regular lime juice in place of the margarita mix as well.