I hope everyone had a great long weekend. We got lots done around our house, our yard, and spent time with friends. It was a good weekend, but now back to reality! At least until Friday when we go to see family for a few days! My Sister-in-Law will be up with her kids from Florida, so we will get to spend some much needed time with them.
Pavlova is traditionally topped with Kiwi and is a New Zealand specialty. We had it in March when we were on vacation there, and I fell in love. I had it topped with passion fruit, and then I had a rolled chocolate one, that was amazing!! Back at home we opted to make one topped with strawberries. My husband made it for me on Mother’s Day, and it was so good! For his business dinner a couple weeks ago he wanted to make it again. But this time we got to work together on it. Love when he helps in the kitchen and we can do it together!
Meringue SEEMS hard, but it is really so EASY. If you have an electric stand mixer it will do all of the work for you. Really, it is easy! Trust me! You can make it and your guests will be amazed, but you can keep the secret that it was simple.
- 4 ounces egg whites, , room temperature
- Pinch kosher salt
- 6 ounces sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Fresh Whipped Cream
- Sliced Strawberries
- Start by heating your oven to 250 degress, You will want a large sheet pan that is lined with parchment paper, or a silicone linear.
- In the stand mixer bowl put in your egg whites and a pinch of salt. Using the whisk attachment on high, whisk until stiff peaks, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to medium and add the sugar over 2 minutes.
- Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Increase the speed to high and whisk until the mixture is smooth and glossy and stiff peaks for, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Decrease speed to low, and add the vanilla, vinegar and cornstarch. Mix just to combine.
- Gently spoon the meringue onto the lined pan, and spread to make about a 9 inch circle forming a slight well in the center.
- Place the meringue into the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave it in the oven for 3 more hours. Open the oven door and cool completely before removing from the oven, approximately 30 minutes.
- Just before serving top the meringue with whipped cream, and sliced berries or fruit of your choice. Serve immediately.
Recipe from Alton Brown
Serving Size8 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 97Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 1mgSodium 40mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 0gSugar 22gProtein 2g