Pierogies Sausage Skillet – take a little shortcut from the store and turn pierogies into a quick and easy hearty meal with your favorite smoked sausage.
Easy dinners are a must, and sometimes that means a little help from the store. My goal is to have the family sit around the table and eat together. It doesn’t matter how we get there, just that it happens. And on busy weeknights, when dinner comes together in 15 minutes, it means we have a few minutes to actually sit and talk with each other.
If you like Pierogies, don’t miss how I made them fitting for taco night with Taco Pierogies Skillet.
Dinner doesn’t have to be complicated. If you have a few things in your pantry and freezer, you can get dinner on the table in just a few minutes. I always keep smoked sausage in my freezer for meals like this and Cheesy Sausage Pasta. Almost no planning, and dinner is ready in under 20 minutes.
Years ago my husband discovered Pierogies in the freezer aisle at the grocery store, and they quickly became a staple. They are super versatile, and something we always have on hand.
What Are Pierogies
They are basically a potato filled dumpling. The wrapper is a simple unleavened dough that you wrap around different fillings. You can then steam, boil or even pan fry them to cook. They came to the US from Eastern Europe and are very popular in the Mid-West.
There are tons of recipes out there for homemade versions, but they are quite a lot of work. So I like to use the store bought ones for busy nights.
What You’ll Need
- Olive Oil
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Salt & Pepper
- Green Onions
How To Make Pierogies Sausage Skillet
- Start by cooking the pierogies according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet heat the butter and oil together. Once it is melted and hot add the onions and sliced sausage. Cook for a few minutes until the sausage starts to brown and the onions are soft.
- Add in the garlic and cook for about a minute until you can just start to smell it.
- Add the cooked and drained pierogies to the skillet and gently stir to evenly mix everything together.
- In a small bowl whisk together the chicken broth and cornstarch. Pour into the skillet and bring to a boil. Cook for about 2 minutes, until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Pour in the heavy cream and let it cook for just a minute to warm through.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle green onions over the top and serve.
Pierogies Sausage Skillet comes together in just minutes. You start with a box of frozen Mrs. T’s Pierogies that you cook according to the package directions. I like to use the classic cheddar variety for this recipe, but it would work with just about all of them. So pick your favorite!
You could even mix in cheese or use chicken instead of sausage. Use this as a guide and see what you have on hand to make it your own on a busy weeknight.
More Quick & Easy Dinner Recipes
- Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
- Easy Baked Cod
- Homemade Hamburger Helper Lasagna
- Beef Burrito Skillet
- Garlic Beef Noodles
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Wrap
- Air Fryer Quesadilla
- Ground Beef Lettuce Wraps
Pierogies Sausage Skillet
Pierogies Sausage Skillet - take a little shortcut from the store and turn pierogies into a quick and easy hearty meal with your favorite smoked sausage.
- 1 (16.9 oz) box frozen Mrs. T's Pierogies
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (12 oz) package kielbasa or other smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Cook pierogies according to the package directions.
- In a large skillet heat butter and olive over medium-high heat. Add sliced kielbasa and onions to the skillet. Cook for 5-6 minutes until browned and the onions are tender.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add cooked and drained pierogies and cook for a minute or two to slightly brown.
- Mix chicken broth and cornstarch together. Stir in and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken. Add in cream. Heat until warmed through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and serve garnished with green onions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 658Total Fat 46gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 26gCholesterol 104mgSodium 1528mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 16g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Be sure to follow Mrs. T’s Pierogies for updates and great recipe ides.
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Website
**This post is sponsored by Mrs. T’s Pierogies. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
- Special K Bars - March 27, 2023
- Beef Stroganoff - March 24, 2023
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
I made this for dinner last night – it’s the perfect serving size for two with a little left over. And it was DELICIOUS! My husband loved it and we will definitely be making this again and again. It’s a great comfort food!
Smells amazing! I simmered the onions, garlic and Kilabasa in white whine. Made some asparagus and broccolini on the side. Taste amazing too
Sheila K. says
Oh MY, it looks great! Can’t wait to cook em this Sunday!