With this Sausage & Kale Pasta recipe, you only need 5 ingredients and you’ll have a hot and hearty dinner on the table in under 25 minutes! That means fewer dishes, less cleanup, and more time enjoying a home-cooked meal with your family.
This Sausage & Kale Pasta recipe is easy to make and can be on the table in less time than it takes for pizza delivery. It’s a go-to weeknight dinner that the whole family will love!
It’s a versatile and completely customizable dinner as well. You can swap out the base ingredients for ones that will please even the pickiest of eaters.
You can even make your own Homemade Pasta to transform this quick and easy recipe into something decadent and worthy of any occasion.
Why This Recipe Works
This Sausage & Kale Pasta is a crowd-pleasing, healthy, and simple meal that will have everyone asking for seconds. You can make a big batch and use the leftovers for lunch or meal prep during the week.
- A budget-friendly recipe that’s tasty and filling.
- The whole meal comes together in no time and makes serving a home-cooked meal effortless.
- Besides the pot you use to boil the pasta, this is basically a one-pan meal, which means minimal cleanup.
- Sausage & Kale Pasta is a hot and healthy meal perfect for any day of the week.
What You’ll Need
- Pasta – Any long, thin noodles are best for this recipe. Spaghetti, linguine, or fettucini will hold the parmesan coating perfectly.
- Italian Sausage – I used Hot sausage for this recipe, but you can get creative with the flavors here. Mild or sweet Italian sausage would be delicious, or you can try turkey or chicken sausage instead.
- Heavy Cream – Don’t use less-fat dairy in this recipe, or the sauce won’t be thick and rich.
- Water – Use reserved pasta water for even more luscious parmesan sauce. The starch from the pasta will help create a decadent texture worthy of a professional kitchen.
- Kale – If you’re not a fan of kale, try using spinach instead.
- Parmesan Cheese – Opt for shredded parmesan or a block of cheese that you grate yourself. The pre-grated shakers of parmesan are coated in preservatives and will affect the texture of your sauce, so go for the good stuff.
How /to Make Sausage & Kale Pasta
- Cook Pasta – In a salted pot of water, cook pasta according to package instructions. You can undercook the pasta by a minute or two to allow it to finish cooking and soak up some of the parmesan sauce in the last step.
- Brown the Sausage – In a large skillet, brown and fully cook the sausage meat over medium heat. If you’re using sausage links, remove the casing and crumble the meat into the pan.
- Start the Sauce – Add water and cream into the sausage skillet and simmer until reduced by half. Keep an eye on the skillet since dairy is quick to bubble over. Stir the contents of the skillet occasionally to prevent the cream from sticking to the pan and scorching .
- Wilt Kale – Once the sauce is thick and bubbly, toss in your shredded kale. Mix until the kale is soft and wilted.
- Combine with Pasta and Serve – Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir to combine. Let the pasta simmer in the sauce for a minute or two so all the flavors can meld together.
PRO-TIP: Use a pasta ladle to scoop the pasta from the cooking water and put it directly into the skillet. This way, you won’t have to wash a strainer, and the pasta water that clings to the noodles will thicken and enrich the sauce further.
- For a healthier or gluten-free alternative to this recipe, swap the pasta for spaghetti squash or spiralized zucchini noodles.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- The best way to reheat this pasta is to add it to a pan on the stovetop with a few tablespoons of water to reconstitute the rich, cheesy coating.
If you’re using heavy cream you can use regular water instead of pasta water for the sauce. But if you’re using a dairy alternative with less fat, the pasta water is key to a nice and thick sauce.
This recipe is best served immediately after it comes together. That’s when the sauce is at its best consistency, and the meal is tastiest. I advise making your side dish, like a salad or dinner rolls, ahead of time and serving this pasta from stove to table.
This recipe is easily scalable. You can double the measurements and proceed as instructed for an effortless meal that can serve a crowd.
What Goes With Sausage & Kale Pasta
- Easy Parmesan Garlic Knots – The buttery garlic flavor of these knots pairs perfectly with the salty parmesan in the pasta.
- Simple Tossed Salad – You don’t want to serve a heavy side with this filling pasta recipe, so a simple tossed salad is a perfect side. Load the salad with veggies and a light dressing to round out the meal.
- French Bread Rolls – These rolls deliver warm and fluffy perfection and are so easy to whip up.
- Tomato Mozzarella Salad – Fresh and juicy, this Caprese salad will brighten up the hearty sausage & kale pasta.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Orange Glazed Chicken
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Pork Carnitas
- Chicken Stuffed Shells
- Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
- Sausage Penne Pasta
- Avocado Grilled Cheese
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 12 oz bulk Italian Sausage, (I used Hot)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large bunch kale, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to the package directions.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage until fully cooked, about 7 minutes.
- Add water and cream, simmer until it is reduced by half (about 5 minutes).
- Add the kale, and toss until it is wilted.
- Add the pasta, and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with cheese to serve.
Adapted from Everyday With Rachael Ray Oct 2012
Amount Per Serving Calories 417Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 62mgSodium 586mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 18g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!