Have you been following the Apple a Day Party over at Baked by Rachel? I sure hope you have, because she has been having some amazing things show up all month long. I am so excited to be a part of it today. When Rachel asked me, I could not respond fast enough, and there was no hesitation over what I would make.
I grew up with these bars. They were at my Grandparents house every time we would visit in the fall. I think this is only the 2nd time I have made them on my own. And they completely took me back to being a kid. Please go over to Rachel’s. Get this recipe, and check out all of the other amazing treats her friends have shared this month!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg yolk
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups cornflakes, , crushed
- 4-5 apples, , pealed and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbls milk, (approx.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 12x 17 jelly roll pan.
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients for the crust, except the cornflakes. Using a pastry cutter or a fork work everything together (like you would a pie crust). Once everything is combined divide the dough in half. Using your fingers press 1/2 of the dough into the prepared pan. It will be thin that is ok. Sprinkle the corn flakes evenly over the crust.
- In a separate bowl toss the apples, sugar and cinnamon together. Once well coated, spread the apples evenly over the crust. Cover the apples with the remaining crust. It can be a little sticky, so I roll out small portions and place it on top. Kind of like patchwork.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Turn down to 350 degrees and bake for 40 more minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Once cool you can frost, if using.
- For the frosting mix everything together, and adjust the amount of milk to get a thin and almost drizzle-able frosting.
Amount Per ServingCalories 231Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 15mgSodium 130mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 1gSugar 19gProtein 3g