Chicken Parmesan Sandwich – Turn the classic Italian dish into a quick and easy sandwich! Crispy chicken, melty cheese, and marinara sauce all inside a toasted bun.
When I was a kid the only thing I would order at an Italian restaurant was Chicken Parmesan. Not only was it always delicious, I was a little picky and knew what I would be getting. I have since branched out quite a bit, but I still love a good chicken parm now and then.
This Chicken Parmesan Sandwich is a great way to get a fun and tasty dinner on the table that the whole family will love. It is fast, easy, and you can even take a little help from the store if you want to speed things up.
What’s In A Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
- Chicken cutlets
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Parmesan Cheese
- Marinara Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Bread – you can use cibattta rolls, Italian Hoagies, Sourdough Bread, Italian Bread etc.
This is where you can take a little help from the store if you want. This recipe gives you all the instructions for breading your own chicken cutlet and how to cook it. But if you are short on time, you can use the already cooked, frozen chicken from the store. Just follow the package instructions for how to heat it up and then assemble the sandwich.
How To Make Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
- The first step is to set up a breading station. You want 3 shallow bowls in front of you. In bowl 1 whisk together flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. In bowl 2 beat the egg. In bowl 3 mix together the panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Take your chicken cutlet and dredge it in the flour mixture. Gently shake off the excess and dip it in the egg to fully coat. Then press it into the breadcrumbs until the chicken is well coated. Place on a baking sheet or plate and continue with the rest of the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken to the pan, and cook for about 4 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked through. An internal temperature of 165º F is when the chicken is done. Remove the chicken from the pan and assemble the sandwiches.
- Place one slice of chicken on the bottom bun for each sandwich and top with sliced cheese. Spoon marinara sauce over the cheese and sprinkle a little bit of Parmesan cheese over the top. Place the top bun on each sandwich and it is time to warm it up.
- You can either place these in a hot oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese, or toast them in a large skillet. You just want to cook them enough for the cheese to melt.
- Once the cheese has melted serve them immediately.
What Goes With A Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
Can You Oven Bake The Chicken
Yes you can. I like how crispy the chicken gets when you cook it in a little bit of oil, but you can definitely cook it in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400º and cook for about 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
You can even use your Air Fryer. Follow the breading instructions, spray the outside of the chicken with a little cooking spray, and simply cook in the air fryer at 390º F for about 10 minutes, flipping half way through. This will get you a crispy piece of chicken without all the oil.
Can You Use Chicken Thighs
Absolutely! You really can use any chicken that you have. Chicken thighs are a great substitute for chicken breasts. But if you want to take a shortcut you can even use frozen chicken tenders or cutlets from the store. Just heat them according to the package directions and assemble the sandwich.
Dinner doesn’t have to be complicated! If you want to speed things up, go for it. This is a great dinner any night of the week, and the whole family will love it!
More Delicious Chicken Dinner Recipes
- One Pan Chicken Spinach Alfredo
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Smoked Chicken Wings
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Chicken Stroganoff
- Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 4 chicken cutlets
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 4 slices Fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 8 slices of thick artisan bread
- 1 cup Marinara Sauce
- Set up a breading station: 1 shallow bowl has flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper mixed together. 1 bowl has the egg, beaten. 1 bowl has the Panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese well combined.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour. Coat both sides, shaking off the extra. Dip in the egg, and then press into the breadcrumbs, making sure to coat well on both sides. Set on a plate.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken to the pan, and cook for about 4 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked through. An internal temperature of 165º F is when the chicken is done..
- Place a piece of chicken on 4 slices of the bread. Spread about 1/4 cup of marinara sauce over the chicken. Top with a slice of cheese and a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese. Top with the remaining slice of bread.
- Heat in a panini press or in a large skillet until the cheese is melted.
Amount Per Serving Calories 694Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 229mgSodium 1570mgCarbohydrates 56gFiber 4gSugar 8gProtein 49g
I created a fun group on Facebook,and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can
share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and
tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS
recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you
never miss a post!