Chicken Skewers – tender pieces of chicken marinated with lots of lime juice and chipotle, then grilled and served with an avocado dipping sauce.
I love grilling out in the summer. If I had my way I would grill out pretty much every night. No need to ever turn on the oven. Maybe a side dish on the stove top every once in awhile, but that is it. Just grilled meats and veggies all summer long! I put together 23 of my favorite summer grilling recipes together all in on place, for easy reference.
Cilantro Lime Chicken has been one of our favorites for a long time, because I am obsessed with an avocado dipping sauce. That is until I remembered these chicken skewers that I shared when I first started blogging. Now it is going to be hard to pick which one to make! Or we could go an entirely different route with Chicken Curry. So hard to pick sometimes.
I first shared these chicken skewers about a month into blogging. Since then I have tried a million new recipes and forgot about these. Well, this summer they are going to be on repeat. They are marinated in lime juice, chipotle in adobo and balsamic vinegar. Sounds kind of like a strange combination, but it is so good!
The chicken stays super tender when you grill it. And the lime really flavors the chicken. Then you have the avocado dipping sauce and it is pure heaven. I made this for lunch recently when a friend was over, and it was kind of embarrassing how much we ate. Pretty sure she will be making it as soon as she finds the recipe!
So skip just plain boring chicken breasts this summer and try these chicken skewers instead. You will not be disappointed! If you have any leftovers, it is great chopped up and put on a salad, quesadilla or even a taco the next day for lunch.
Even whip up a Red Wine Spritzer and you can have a delicious relaxing night at home.
Want more grilling recipes?
Grilled Chicken with Avocado Tomato Salsa
Chicken Souvlaki Skewers with Tzatziki Sauce
Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Thighs by Belly Full
Grilled Chicken with White Barbecue Sauce by Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 Tbls balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp chipotle pepper in adobo, minced
- 1 avocado
- 2 Tbls sour cream
- 1 Tbls cilantro, minced
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pound chicken to about 1/4 in thick, and cute into 1 inch strips.
- Combine the lime juice, vinegar, chipotle and salt in a ziploc bag. Add chicken, and squish it around to coat. Marinate in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers. Discard the marinade. Grill covered over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side until no longer pink.
Avocado Dipping Sauce
- Using a fork mash the avocado. Stir in the sour cream and cilantro. Once well combined add the zest, salt, and squeeze in the juice from half a lime. Refrigerate until serving.
Recipe from Taste of Home Healthy Cooking
Amount Per ServingCalories 161Saturated Fat 1gCholesterol 76mgSodium 327mgCarbohydrates 3gSugar 1gProtein 24g