Chocolate Mug Cake – cure all of those chocolate cravings with this cake that you can make in a mug in less than 3 minutes! Super easy using ingredients you probably have on hand already.
Sometimes you are craving chocolate, but don’t want to bake a whole pan of brownies or batch of chocolate chip cookies. That is when this mug cake comes in handy! You can have it ready in about 3 minutes and it will cure all of those cravings!
Plus it is all made in the mug, so there is hardly any dishes to wash.
What Is A Mug Cake
It is basically a single serving cake you make in a coffee mug. Instead of baking it in a cake pan in the oven, you mix everything together in a mug and then it cooks in the microwave. They can be tricky to get the right ratio or ingredients, but once you get it right, it will cure all of those chocolate cravings!
Can You Make A Mug Cake In The Oven
No, it is designed to cook quickly and in the microwave. You heat it in a mug for 70 seconds, so it isn’t something you would want to put in the oven.
What’s In A Mug Cake
- All-Purpose Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
- Vegetable Oil
You will notice that there is not any egg in this mug cake. I find that if you add egg, even just part of an egg you end up with something more spongey than a cake texture. So leaving out the egg really gives it the feel of real cake.
How To Make Chocolate Mug Cake
- In a large coffee mug whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the milk and vegetable oil and mix until everything is well combined.
- Place a dollop of Nutella in the center and gently press down, so it is covered with cake batter.
- Place in microwave for 70 seconds.
- Remove and let stand for about a minute before topping with whipped cream to serve
I like to use chocolate hazelnut spread in the center of mine, but you really can mix this up and use whatever you like!
- Fill with peanut butter or other nut butter
- Mix in chocolate chips
- Top with Ice Cream
- Drizzle more Nutella or peanut butter over the top
- If you like nuts, mix in nuts with the batter
Microwaves are all a little bit different, so finding the perfect time is a going to have a little bit of trial and error involved. It could be 65 seconds or it could be 75 seconds. If you have a powerful microwave start with 65 seconds to see if it is cooked though.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
- Chick-Fil-A Brownies
- Texas Sheet Cake Cookies
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake
- Nutella Cupcakes
- S’mores Cookies
- Magic Cookie Bars
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
- Cosmic Brownies
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoon milk
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon Nutella
- In a mug whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add milk, canola oil and Nutella. Mix until smooth.
- Microwave on high for 70 seconds. It will rise up and then sink back down, so make sure your mug is tall enough.
- Meanwhile, fold in 3 Tbls cherry preserves to 1/2 cup of whipped cream.
- Top mug cake with whipped cream to serve.
Slightly Adapted from The Novice Chef
Amount Per Serving Calories 495Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 4mgSodium 404mgCarbohydrates 59gFiber 3gSugar 35gProtein 6g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!