Ham & Cheese Biscuits – Fluffy drop biscuits full of cheddar cheese and diced ham. A great side dish, or use of leftover ham.
Lightning-fast Ham & Cheese Biscuits are fluffy, savory, and full of sharp cheddar cheese and diced ham. They’re great on their own, as a tasty breakfast sandwich, or alongside a bowl of soup.
I don’t know about you, but I always struggle to find a use for leftover ham after the holidays. That’s why I created these crazy easy ham and cheese biscuits. These drop-style biscuits are made with Bisquick. So you’ll only need to mix, drop them on a baking sheet, and pop them in the oven.
Baking doesn’t get any easier than that!
This is a recipe to reach for whenever you need a fast breakfast or side. Try cutting them in half and adding scrambled eggs for a top-notch breakfast sandwich. Or, on your way out the door, grab a biscuit and one of my soft-boiled Air Fryer Eggs for a quick work-day snack.
Why You’ll Love Ham & Cheese Biscuits
- So quick to whip up, they’ll be ready to eat in about 15 minutes.
- It’s an incredibly simple recipe with only 5 ingredients in total.
- This is the perfect way to use up any leftover ham that’s hanging around in the fridge.
- No kneading or rolling is required for this easy biscuit recipe.
- They’re full of scrumptious flavor and texture from buttermilk, cheddar, and diced ham.
What You’ll Need
- Original Bisquick™ Mix – Bisquick already contains leavening in the mix, which makes this recipe super quick and easy.
- Diced Ham – You can use thick sliced ham or even leftover sliced deli ham.
- Cheddar Cheese – Pockets of shredded cheddar make these biscuits a savory delight.
- Buttermilk – Adds tangy flavor and a little extra volume to these biscuits.
- Butter – Used to brush the tops of the hot biscuits after baking.
- Fresh Chives – Use this optional herb as a flavorful garnish.
How To Make Ham & Cheese Biscuits
- Mix the dry and bulk ingredients. Combine the Bisquick mix with the cheese and ham in a large bowl.
- Add buttermilk. Pour in the buttermilk, mixing just until the dough comes together. Avoid overmixing.
- Drop and bake. Scoop the dough into mounds on the baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until light golden brown.
- Brush and garnish. Immediately brush the hot biscuits with melted butter, then sprinkle with chives if desired.
Tips & Tricks
- Don’t overmix. It’s important not to overmix this dough. Mix the buttermilk into the dry mix just until all the flour is moistened. This helps to keep the biscuits tender.
- Add the chives to the dry mix. Add a hint of herbal onion flavor and color by adding the minced chives to the dry ingredient mixture. The flavor will bake into the biscuits, which is a deliciously good thing!
- Rotate the pan halfway through baking. For the most even browning on your biscuits, rotate the pan after the first 4-5 minutes in the oven.
- Use a cookie scoop for uniform biscuits. If you want your biscuits to look consistent in size and shape, use a cookie dough scoop in your desired size.
- Leave space between the biscuits. To prevent the biscuits from expanding into each other, leave about 2 inches between them.
What’s the difference between drop biscuits and regular biscuits?
Drop biscuit dough typically has more milk added to the dough than biscuits that are rolled out and cut. Because it’s a wetter dough, it must be dropped onto the baking sheet, and this makes for a more rustic appearance
Can These Biscuits Be Made Vegetarian?
You can easily make these biscuits vegetarian by omitting the ham. If you’d like to use a substitute for the ham, try using smoked tofu or chopped Tofurky smoked deli slices.
Can I Use Regular Milk Instead Of Buttermilk
If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make a quick buttermilk replacement at home. In a liquid measuring cup, add 1 tsp. lemon juice or vinegar. Then fill the cup the rest of the way (to the ¾ cup line) with milk. Give it a stir and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before using.
How To Store and Reheat Leftover Ham & Cheese Biscuits
- Room Temperature – Allow the biscuits to cool completely, then store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. They’re best reheated in a toaster oven.
- Freezer – Freeze baked biscuits in an airtight freezer-proof container or zip-top freezer bag for up to 3 months.
- Split Pea Soup – Serve these biscuits with a hot bowl of this soup for a high-protein combination. This soup is yet another great way to use leftover ham.
- Chili Relleno Casserole – Enjoy poblano peppers layered with eggs and cheese and a biscuit or two on the side for a fabulous brunch.
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole – This seriously filling breakfast casserole paired with ham & cheese biscuits is perfect for weekend mornings.
- Sous Vide Egg Bites – These Starbucks copycat sous vide eggs are light, fluffy, and creamy. They’re a great pick for enjoying inside a biscuit!
- Breakfast Bowls – For a quick, hearty breakfast, incorporate a sliced biscuit into a breakfast bowl and stay satiated until lunchtime.
- 2 1/4 cup cups Original Bisquick™ mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup diced ham
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped (opinion)
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- In a large bowl add Bisquick mix, cheese and ham. Mix until well combined.
- Add buttermilk, and mix until everything just comes together. Be careful not to over mix.
- Scoop onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until light golden brown.
- After you remove the biscuits from the oven, immediately brush with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with chives if desired
Amount Per Serving Calories 101Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 28mgSodium 278mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 7g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Betty Crocker via Burst Media. The opinions and text are all mine.