Hot Chocolate Cookies – Enjoy a cozy winter favorite in more than just a glass! Chocolate Chip Cookies come together with Hot Chocolate for a gooey and delicious treat!
One of the few things that I enjoy about winter is getting to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate on a cold day. I do not like the cold at all, but if you can have a hot steaming cup of hot cocoa, then I am willing to put up with a little bit of cold.
But why not enjoy the flavor of hot chocolate every day of the year with Hot Chocolate Cookies! So easy to make and a fun chocolate-y treat.
These hot chocolate cookies are what you get when you mix your favorite chocolate chip cookie base with hot chocolate. A decadent and delicious treat that you can make whether it is cold or hot outside!
What You’ll Need
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Soda
- Hot Chocolate Powder
- Chocolate Chips
- Mini Marshmallows
Marshmallows are an important part of hot chocolate, so they must be included with these cookies! I use the Jet Puffed Marshmallow Bits so they don’t just melt away and disappear like mini marshmallows do. You can often find these in your regular grocery store next to the normal marshmallows or near the hot chocolate. My Target carries them as well.
How To Make Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Start by creaming together your butter with the white sugar and brown sugar until it is light and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract until everything is really well combined.
- Stir in the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt and hot chocolate packets until they are just mixed in.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and marshmallow bits making sure they are evenly distributed.
- I like the chill the dough for about 30 minutes here, but if you are in a hurry you can skip this step and go right to baking the cookies.
- Scoop balls of dough onto a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. You want the edges to be set and the centers to appear just barely under done. They will continue to cook on the tray as they cool.
- Remove cookies and let them cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- Chill the dough. This is optional in recipes, but it lets the butter solidify again, so as it cooks it spreads slightly less, and just leads to a thicker and chewier cookie.
- Under Bake your cookies! This is the biggest mistake people make with cookies is they bake them until they are 100% done in the oven. Then they sit on the tray and continue to cook. So you end up with an dry and overdone cookie. Taking the cookies out when they aren’t quite done is the key, they finish cooking on the hot baking tray so you get a a nice, soft, gooey cookie!
- Make sure to start with room temperature ingredients. You want your butter to be nice and soft so it really creams together with the sugar. This will give you the best soft and chewy texture for cookies.
- Want to make your cookies look pretty? Reserve a few of the chocolate chips and marshmallow bits when you mix them in the dough. Once you scoop balls of dough onto the baking sheet, place these reserved chips on your cookies. That way they will stay on top as the cookies bake and look prettier.
Once these cookies are baked you can store in an airtight container for 3-4 days. They should stay nice and soft at room temperature.
You can freeze cookies after they are baked. Just let them cool completely and then place in airtight container for 3-4 months in the freezer. Just take them out and let them set at room temperature to thaw.
Or you can freeze the dough, so you can have freshly baked cookies on demand at any time. To do this scoop balls of dough onto a baking sheet, and place in the freezer for a couple of hours, until the balls of dough are solid. Remove and place in a freezer safe bag. They will last in the freezer for up to 6 months.
To bake, just remove how ever many you want, and allow them to sit on the counter to thaw while you preheat the oven. Then bake as directed.
This hot chocolate cookie recipe is super easy to make and one you are going to be shocked at how much a packet of hot chocolate mix and do! Trust me, if you are a fan of hot chocolate these are for you. You can even mix it up and use different types of hot chocolate mix – pick your favorite!
More Great Cookie Recipes
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Avalanche Cookies
- Mexican Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft Monster Cookies
- Andes Mint Cake Mix Cookies
- Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Nutella Stuffed Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 (1 oz) packages hot chocolate mix
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 oz) package mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallow bits, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In the bowl for an electric mixer cream butter, sugar and brown sugar together until light and fluffy
- Add in the egg and vanilla, mix until well it is very well combined.
- Stir in flour, cornstarch, salt, baking soda, and hot chocolate mix.
- Fold in 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips and marshmallow bits.
- Let the dough chill for 30 minutes for best results.
- Scoop balls of dough onto a baking sheet. Top each ball of dough with some of the reserved chocolate chip and marshmallows.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes until the edges are set and the tops are dry.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cook for 5-10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Crumbs and Chaos
Amount Per Serving Calories 110Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 15mgSodium 103mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 9gProtein 1g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!