M&M Chocolate Oat Bars – brown sugar oatmeal cookie base with a layer of chocolate fudge in the middle and topped with M&M’s. A delicious treat for any occasion.
I grew up with my grandma making Fudge Nut Bars pretty much every time we went to her house. The brown sugar oatmeal cookie base always got my favorite. Plus a layer of creamy fudge? I mean, they were pretty much heaven.
I am not always a fan of nuts in my desserts so as I grew up I made my own version of Oatmeal Fudge Bars. They still have all the deliciousness that I loved, but without the nuts. And today I made them even better! M&M’s pretty much make everything better!
These M&M bars are a hit at every get together I bring them to. They are great because you can use whatever seasonal M&M’s are available and make them for fall, spring, Valentine’s Day, Christmas or anytime of year. Plus what works better with a layer of chocolate fudge than more chocolate?
I am kind of a sucker for M&M’s in just about any form. Monster Cookies are one of my favorites because the M&M’s just make them fun and festive.
How to make M&M Chocolate Oat Bars
- An electric mixer makes the dough come together quickly and easily.
- Start with softened butter to make things just work better.
- I use the microwave to melt the chocolate for the fudge, but if you want to use a sauce pan you can. Just keep it at a low heat so you don’t burn it.
- Sprinkle the M&M’s over the bars and then bake. Let them cool completely before cutting to serve.
Bar cookies are one of the easiest desserts to make. You just press the dough into a pan and bake. There isn’t any worrying about shaping uniform balls of dough and baking multiple trays. Just 1 pan, about 30 minutes and done. Definitely something the kids can help with.
How to Store M&M Bars
You can leave them in the pan that you baked them in and just cover with foil or if your 13×9 inch baking dish has a lid, use that. Or you can slice them and place them in anything air tight. They will last for a couple days on the counter.
Can you Freeze M&M Bars
Yes, you can freeze them. Put them in an air tight container to store in the freezer. It is best to make sure you have sliced them before freezing.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 (12 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tbls butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup M&M's
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a 13x9 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In an electric stand mixer, beat butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Stir in oats, flour, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- Press 2/3rds of mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt together chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, butter and salt. Heat for 1 minute, stir until smooth. Heat at 15 second intervals if it needs more.
- Mix in vanilla. Stir until well combined. Pour over base mixture, spread evenly.
- Crumble remaining base mixture over the fudge layer.
- Sprinkle the M&M's evenly over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until set and starting to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 284 Total Fat 12g Saturated Fat 7g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 40mg Sodium 333mg Carbohydrates 40g Fiber 2g Sugar 22g Protein 4g