Pumpkin Pie – Homemade pumpkin pie is the ultimate pie for the holidays. Super easy to make and full of delicious spices.
I grew up with having pretty much the same meal on Thanksgiving and Christmas. That meant the same Thanksgiving stuffing on both holidays. The same turkey made showed up at both meals. And the same pumpkin pie recipe was made for both days. One year I convinced my family to mix it up and we had Pumpkin Dream Cake on Thanksgiving.
My mom always took the Libby’s pumpkin pie and added a little kick. That is what I still make today. A few extra spices just give it so much extra flavor and make it delicious. And I have no probably having it for both holidays.
What You’ll Need
- Pumpkin Puree – not the pie filling, you want just the plain pumpkin
- Ground Ginger
- Ground Cloves
- Evaporated Milk
- Pie Crust
How to Make Pumpkin Pie
- You can start with a homemade crust or a store bought crust, that is up to you. Do not bake the crust ahead of time, just press it into your pie plate.
- In a large mixing bowl you just whisk all of the ingredients together. You want to mix until it is really well combined and the eggs are completely incorporated.
- Pour into the pie crust and bake for 15 minutes at 425º. After 15 minutes, leave the oven door close but reduce the temperature to 350º and cook for an additional 45 minutes. If the crust gets too dark, you can cover with foil while the pie continues to cook.
How To Serve Pumpkin Pie
The big debate in my house is whether you have your pumpkin pie warm or cold. My dad and I like to microwave our slice of pie so it is warm. That way when you put the generous dollop of whipped cream on it starts to melt and is extra yummy.
Can You Use Real Pumpkins To Make Pie
Yes, you absolutely can roast your own pumpkins and scoop out the flesh to make your own pumpkin puree. You want to use pumpkins that are called “pie pumpkins”, not just any pumpkin will make for a good puree.
I love using pumpkin in the fall. Pumpkin Pancakes are a great weekend breakfast! The really nice thing about this pumpkin pie recipe, is you can make it the day ahead of time. So when the holidays get busy, you can have dessert ready and waiting for you.
More Tasty Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- Pumpkin Crisp
- Pumpkin Waffles
- Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats
- Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- Pumpkin Cupcakes
- 1 (15oz) can Pumpkin Puree
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 9 - inch pie crust, (unbaked)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place pie crust in a 9 inch pie plate.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs. Add pumpkin and mix until smooth. Stir in sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Add evaporated milk and mix until well blended.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425. Reduce the oven to 350 and bake for 40-50 more minutes. Cover the crust with foil if it starts to get too dark. A knife inserted will come out clean when done.
- Remove from oven, and cool completely on wire rack.
Adapted from Libby
Amount Per Serving Calories 165Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 38mgSodium 207mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 3g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!