I hope you enjoyed all the giveaways last week! Stay tuned because once December starts there are giveaways like crazy until Christmas. All sorts of great recipes as well. But before we get to that, we have Thanksgiving to worry about. Are you ready? Is your menu planned? Have you done all the shopping? I am ready, so now I am thinking about leftovers. I have a big round up of leftover ideas coming for you on Wednesday, so stay tuned. But today is this enchilada recipe that will use up your leftover turkey.
I love a cold turkey sandwich with stuffing the day after Thanksgiving. But after that one sandwich, I am pretty much done. So I have to transform the leftovers into something else, so that it gets eaten. That is where these enchiladas come in. I love Mexican food, so it is the perfect way for me to disguise the leftovers so no one will complain. I think I could probably live on avocados if I had to, I love them. This avocado cream sauce? So creamy, I think I might be able to drink it, if that was socially acceptable.
I just warmed the turkey with our favorite salsa to infuse some great flavors into it. If you didn’t have turkey on hand, leftover chicken would be perfect as well. You could even cook chicken breasts and salsa together in the crock pot if you wanted to. Whatever you use, add cheese and the cream sauce and you are in for a treat. This dinner is quick and easy. Even if you are a Black Friday shopper, I am sure you will have the energy to throw this together. Way better than another turkey sandwich, in my opinion!
Turn leftover turkey into enchiladas with an avocado cream sauce
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 3 cups cooked turkey
- 1 1/2 cups salsa (whatever is your favorite)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbls butter
- 2 Tbls flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup sour cream (I used light)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 large avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 Tbls cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the Avocado Sauce: In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour, until well combined and golden. Slowly whisk in chicken brown. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add sour cream, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Mix until smooth. Remove from heat and pour into a blender or food processor. Add avocados, lime, and cilantro to the blender. Process until smooth. Be careful, hot liquids expand when being processed.
- In a saucepan heat salsa and turkey until warm.
- Wrap corn tortillas in damp paper towel, and warm in the microwave.
- Working with 1 tortilla at a time; place tortilla on the counter. Fill with some of the turkey mixture and some cheese. Roll tortilla, and place seam side down in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Pour avocado sauce over the rolled tortillas. Sprinkle with any remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes, until everything is heated through.
- Remove from the oven. Serve immediately.
If you don't have leftover turkey, chicken works just as well.
Avocado Sauce barely adapted from Gimme Some Oven