Avocado Chicken Salad – Take chicken salad to a new level with avocado! It is naturally creamy without any mayo or sour cream. Great for quick lunches, easy dinners and even picnics!
We are true avocado lovers in this house. We could live on Guacamole if we had to. It wasn’t until just a couple years ago that my son decided he liked avocados, but since then he has not turned back!
If I am making the grocery list and ask if anyone needs anything, he immediately suggests avocados. He makes avocado toast on the weekends and these Chicken Tostadas with a thick layer of avocado are always a must.
Needless to say, we always have a fridge full of avocados, so this chicken salad can be made almost any day of the week. I do like to take a little help from the store and use a rotisserie chicken. It is just so much easier than cooking and shredding the chicken myself. Plus theirs is always perfectly cooked and well seasoned, so I know it will be great every time.
And let’s talk about the elephant in the room. I don’t like mayo. So classic chicken salad isn’t my favorite, even though my family loves it. But you add avocado, and I am 100% on board! More things in life should involve avocados!
What’s In Avocado Chicken Salad
- Shredded Chicken
- Red Onion
- Lime Juice
- Salt & Pepper
I really like to use a rotisserie chicken for this because it is already seasoned and makes it super quick and easy! But any kind of chicken you like will work great. You can use leftover chicken, pre-cooked chicken, chicken strips….just about anything.
How to Make Avocado Chicken Salad
- Start by mixing your shredded chicken with 1 mashed avocado. This will help bind everything together and give it the classic creamy texture that everyone loves.
- Next you dice a second avocado and add it to the mix. I like to have little chunks throughout to give you a little different texture and really make it taste like avocado.
- I like to add finely chopped onion, tomato and cilantro to my chicken salad as well.
- A little lime juice is added to make sure that it doesn’t turn brown. It also just brightens up the flavor a little bit.
- Finally season with salt and pepper to your taste and serve.
- If you like things spicy, a little bit of hot sauce can be added as well. Or even just Sriracha when serving is delicious!
This avocado chicken salad should be made the day you are going to eat it. No matter what you do to avocados, they will not last for more than a few hours after you cut into them.
How to Tell if Avocados Are Ripe
If you don’t frequently buy avocados it can be a little over whelming when you look at the giant bin of them at the grocery store. How you pick really depends on when you want to use it. If you want to use it that day look for one that is dark green in color. When you pick it up, it will give a little when you gently squeeze it, it will still be firm and not mushy, but has a little give. When you get home store it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
If you just want them on hand to use later in the week you want to pick one that is much firmer. The brighter the green the skin is, the longer it will take to ripen. Avocados can ripen quickly, so when you get home just put it on your counter and check it every day to see when it starts to give. Then you can place it in the fridge until you are ready to make something with it.
Is Avocado Chicken Salad Creamy
Absolutely! It does have a slightly different texture than the traditional one made with mayo, but mashing most of the avocado really gives it the creamy texture that you know and love.
What To Serve With Avocado Chicken Salad
How To Serve Avocado Chicken Salad
They are great to take on a picnic as well. You can make the chicken salad and then just let people make their sandwich when it is time. And you don’t have to worry about the mayo going bad, these will still be fresh and delicious!
- Bun – a good ol’ hamburger bun works great!
- Croissant – a buttery flakey croissant is so good with chicken salad.
- Wrap – put it in your favorite tortilla or wrap and fold it up.
- Lettuce – keep things low carb and healthier by serving it on a bed of fresh spinach, mixed greens or your favorite lettuce.
- Stuffed Tomatoes – In the summer when tomatoes are super fresh hollowing out the inside and stuffing it with chicken salad is a great idea for a buffet or to feed a crowd.
- Crackers – my family loves to enjoy it almost like a dip and serve on whole grain crackers.
More Chicken Recipes
- Asian Chicken Wraps
- Chicken Fajita Quesadilla
- Crunchy Southwest Chicken Wraps
- Chicken Skewers
- Chicken Club Wraps
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Chow Mein Noodles with Chicken
Avocado Chicken Salad
Avocado Chicken Salad - Take chicken salad to a new level with avocado! It is naturally creamy without any mayo or sour cream. Great for quick lunches, easy dinners and even picnics!
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 Tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons tomato, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl combine chicken with the mashed avocado, mix until the chicken is coated.
- Add the diced avocado, onion, tomato, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper to the bowl and fold until everything is blended.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve on sandwich bread, a pita, hamburger buns, or even lettuce cups.
Amount Per Serving Calories 278Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 51mgSodium 191mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 7gSugar 1gProtein 19g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
- Special K Bars - March 27, 2023
- Beef Stroganoff - March 24, 2023
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
This is such a great idea for when it’s too hot outside to want to make dinner. Love the avocado twist.
Brandy O'Neill says
This is such a great recipe! Love the avocado! Will be great for lunch!
Dorothy Reinhold says
I bet the avocado makes this so light and creamy! Perfect to take on a picnic or to the pool!
Beth Pierce says
I know what I will be having for lunch tomorrow! This looks amazing!
The addition of avocado makes it better! A must try recipe!
Some of my favorite ingredients!
My family is avocado obsessed so this is perfect for us! We’ve been adding it to our egg salad, I can’t believe I never thought to add it to chicken salad. Thanks!
Dorothy Reinhold says
I could live off of avocado! This salad will be a staple at my house from now on.
Allyson Zea says
While I am allergic to avocado, my husband could eat this for every meal!
katerina @ diethood.com says
I LOVE the avocado in this recipe! Can’t wait to try this!
This is my kind of lunch! I am sure that my family will love it too!
Jacque Hastert says
I love anything with avocado! This is going to be made for lunches next week and I can’t wait!
I love that you added avocado and eliminated any mayo or sour cream! I am going to make this and wrap it in lettuce for a delicious lettuce wrap for lunch!