Avocado Chicken Salad – Take chicken salad to a new level with avocado! It is naturally creamy without any mayo or sour cream. Great for quick lunches, easy dinners and even picnics!
We are true avocado lovers in this house. We could live on Guacamole if we had to. It wasn’t until just a couple years ago that my son decided he liked avocados, but since then he has not turned back!
If I am making the grocery list and ask if anyone needs anything, he immediately suggests avocados. He makes avocado toast on the weekends and these Chicken Tostadas with a thick layer of avocado are always a must.
Needless to say, we always have a fridge full of avocados, so this chicken salad can be made almost any day of the week. I do like to take a little help from the store and use a rotisserie chicken. It is just so much easier than cooking and shredding the chicken myself. Plus theirs is always perfectly cooked and well seasoned, so I know it will be great every time.
And let’s talk about the elephant in the room. I don’t like mayo. So classic chicken salad is pretty much an absolute no in my book. But you add avocado, and I am 100% on board! More things in life should involve avocados!
How to Make Avocado Chicken Salad
- Start by mixing your shredded chicken with 1 mashed avocado. This will help bind everything together and give it the classic creamy texture that everyone loves.
- Next you dice a second avocado and add it to the mix. I like to have little chunks throughout to give you a little different texture and really make it taste like avocado.
- I like to add finely chopped onion, tomato and cilantro to my chicken salad as well.
- A little lime juice is added to make sure that it doesn’t turn brown. It also just brightens up the flavor a little bit.
- Finally season with salt and pepper to your taste and serve.
- If you like things spicy, a little bit of hot sauce can be added as well. Or even just Sriracha when serving is delicious!
This avocado chicken salad should be made the day you are going to eat it. No matter what you do to avocados, they will not last for more than a few hours after you cut into them.
How to Tell if Avocados Are Ripe
If you don’t frequently buy avocados it can be a little over whelming when you look at the giant bin of them at the grocery store. How you pick really depends on when you want to use it. If you want to use it that day look for one that is dark green in color. When you pick it up, it will give a little when you gently squeeze it, it will still be firm and not mushy, but has a little give. When you get home store it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
If you just want them on hand to use later in the week you want to pick one that is much firmer. The brighter the green the skin is, the longer it will take to ripen. Avocados can ripen quickly, so when you get home just put it on your counter and check it every day to see when it starts to give. Then you can place it in the fridge until you are ready to make something with it.
This avocado chicken salad recipe is super easy to make and it is great for those super busy nights when you don’t have time to cook or when it is too hot outside and you don’t want to heat up the house.
They are great to take on a picnic as well. You can make the chicken salad and then just let people make their sandwich when it is time. And you don’t have to worry about the mayo going bad, these will still be fresh and delicious!
More Chicken Recipes
- Asian Chicken Wraps
- Chicken Fajita Quesadilla
- Crunchy Southwest Chicken Wraps
- Chicken Skewers
- Chicken Club Wraps
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Chow Mein Noodles with Chicken
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 Tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons tomato, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl combine chicken with the mashed avocado, mix until the chicken is coated.
- Add the diced avocado, onion, tomato, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper to the bowl and fold until everything is blended.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve on sandwich bread, a pita, hamburger buns, or even lettuce cups.
Amount Per ServingCalories 278Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 51mgSodium 191mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 7gSugar 1gProtein 19g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!