Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta – turn your classic chicken cordon bleu recipe into a delicious and creamy pasta you can make any night of the week!
When I am looking for comfort food I am almost always lean towards chicken pasta recipes. Like Tuscan Chicken Pasta. There is just something about the pasta with a creamy sauce and pieces of tender chicken that get me every time.
Today we are totally mixing things up and turning chicken cordon bleu on its head! I made a Crispy Chicken Cordon Bleu last year that is baked, ready super fast, pretty good for you, but still full of gooey melty cheese.
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Traditionally it is made with a thin piece of chicken that is wrapped around a piece of ham and Swiss cheese. It is usually then breaded and deep fried like schnitzel.
- There are versions made with pork and veal, it is not just for chicken!
- It originated in Switzerland, but there are versions of it found all over Europe
My chicken cordon bleu recipe today uses chicken, diced ham and Swiss cheese. This is a great use of leftover ham as well. Ham & Cheese Tortellini is another good one if you have ham to use up. Or you could throw ham in biscuits. These Ham and Cheese Biscuits are so tender and perfect for that leftover ham.
You really can not get more simple than this easy chicken cordon blue. You just have to dice the chicken and ham, no rolling or frying involved. The pasta cooks in a separate pot, then you cook the chicken and make the sauce. The sauce is mostly skim milk, with just a little bit of cream. So there is just a little less guilt.
By The time the pasta is done, you are ready to toss it all together and serve. You could top it with bread crumbs and put in the oven if you wanted the traditional crunch. But I like my chicken pasta recipes super creamy; no extra crunch needed.
I love to use leftover ham in recipes like this! Ham & Bean Soup is another great one. And if you have a whole ham bone, the soup is even better. This Barbecue Hawaiian Pizza is another one I can’t wait to try either!
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 12 oz small cut pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 small chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups ham, diced
- 2 Tbls butter
- 2 Tbls flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz Swiss Cheese, shredded
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil until hot. Add chicken and onion to the pan, cook until browned. Add garlic and ham to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Melt butter in the skillet, mix in flour until lightly browned. Slowly whisk in milk and cream. Season with mustard, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook sauce for 3-4 minutes until it starts to thicken. Mix in cheese until melted.
- Add cooked pasta and chicken mixture to the sauce, toss to combine.
- Garnish with parsley to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 649Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 124mgSodium 877mgCarbohydrates 58gFiber 2gSugar 7gProtein 41g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.