Barbeque Chicken – grilled chicken topped with a sweet and tangy Coca-Cola BBQ sauce
I hope everyone had a great Mother’s Day yesterday. Did you do anything special? I had an amazing day with my son and my husband. I have a special post tomorrow to share all the highlights of the day.
As Mom’s, I think we all know how important dinners as a family can be. I remember sitting down to dinner as a family nearly every night as a kid. Life has gotten so crazy for people lately, family dinners can get put on hold. Well, Coca-Cola wants to help gather your family around the dinner table with “Coke with Meals” through My Coke Rewards. It is a great new feature on their website where they have a couple celebrity chefs who have created great quick and easy recipes the whole family will love.
We love barbeque at our house, so the Coca-Cola BBQ Wings caught my eye. I am not a huge “wing” person though. There is never enough meat for the amount of work involved. So I decided to switch it up and use drumsticks! I would never have thought to use Coca-Cola in my barbeque sauce, but it just adds a subtle sweetness to it.
Stay tuned on Wednesday for a great dessert I made to go with our family dinner!
- 6 chicken drumsticks, , skin removed
- For the sauce:
- 2 Tbls Canola Oil
- 1 jalapeno, , seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, , diced
- 1 small onion, , diced
- 3 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup Coca-Cola
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbls liquid smoke
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- To prepare the sauce heat canola oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Saute the onion, jalapeno, and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in ketchup, orange juice, Coca-Cola, and molasses. Mix well. Add brown sugar, liquid smoke, garlic salt, paprika and black pepper. Stir until well combined. Reduce heat to low, and cook until sauce starts to thicken, about 15 minutes. If you want a smooth sauce, you can use an immersion blender to puree it.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Grill drumsticks until fully cooked, about 10 minutes turning frequently. Serve chicken with sauce poured over the top.
- You will have lots of extra sauce. Store in fridge for a week, or you can freeze it.
Adapted from My Coke Rewards
Amount Per ServingCalories 648Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 174mgSodium 2200mgCarbohydrates 87gFiber 1gSugar 72gProtein 36g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
**I was sent a $50 Amex gift card to help with the purchase of this meal. The opinions expressed are 100% my own.