Easter Muddy Buddies – classic muddy buddies taken up a level with more peanut butter and chocolate! Plus decorated for Easter!
I can’t believe that Easter is only a couple weeks away! My son’s birthday is April 25th, so Easter means his birthday is soon. Sometimes they are very close, sometimes they are almost a full month apart. This year, less than 10 days apart. So I guess I better get planning for a 12th birthday as well.
What do you do for Easter every year? Do you do baskets, coloring eggs, candy, a big dinner and more? We usually do a big dinner, and often times will have my brother and sister in-law over for dinner, where we make my Tangerine Glazed Ham. My son still likes to color eggs. These days he pretty much just wants to eat the hard boiled eggs later, but still likes coloring them together each year.
My parents will be in town next weekend, so I am not sure what Easter will be like this year. One thing I do know though, Easter Muddy Buddies will be on the menu. I have a slight obsession with all things peanut butter and chocolate, that is well known by now. So I can’t just leave the classic muddy buddy recipe alone.
Do you call them muddy buddies or puppy chow? I grew up calling it puppy chow, so I often still call it that today. I posted my Puppy Chow Bars on Facebook once, and I had a couple people yell at me about feeding that to my dog. So maybe I am the only one? And I don’t have a dog, so no worries there.
When I make Easter muddy buddies, I don’t just follow the recipe on the box. I come close, but not quite. The best part about them is the ones that get stuck together with chocolate and peanut butter. So why not have more of those! My Puppy Chow (Amped Up) is what we make at Christmas ever year, but today I am taking that and making it for Easter.
Because who wants to wait a full year to have puppy chow again? Not me!
- 1 (12 oz) box Rice or Corn Chex
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 Tbls butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup Easter candy, (I used 1/2 cup M&M's, 1/2 & Reese's Eggs)
- In a bowl melt chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter together. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir and heat for 20 second intervals until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour over chex cereal, mixing to coat.
- Using a 2 gallon zip top bag (or 2 batches in a 1 gallon size), toss together powdered sugar and chocolate coated cereal.
- Once well coated, pour onto a baking sheet or wax paper to set up.
- Once it is set up, stir in 1 cup of Easter candy.
Serving Size10 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 632Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 18mgSodium 215mgCarbohydrates 91gFiber 4gSugar 68gProtein 8g