Easter Muddy Buddies – classic muddy buddies taken up a level with more peanut butter and chocolate! Plus decorated for Easter!
It seems like Muddy Buddies are a treat that are always served at Christmas time. But I am all for having them all year round! I mean, what is not to like about peanut butter and chocolate that is coating a crispy cereal.
These were one of my all time favorite treats growing up, and that has not changed one bit! Just my ability to make them even better….trust me, ditch the recipe on the box this is so much better.
When I was a kid these were called Puppy Chow not Muddy Buddies. But the difference really is only the cereal you use. Crispix cereal I believe came up with the recipe and called them Puppy Chow. Then General Mills and Chex cereal came into play and they call them Muddy Buddies. But they are essentially the same thing!
The best part of muddy buddies are the pieces that get stuck together and have more peanut butter and chocolate than the rest. So I decided it was time to make every bite taste better and stopped following the recipe on the box!
What You’ll Need
It is still all the same players as the classic, just different amounts so you get more goodness in every bite.
- Chex Cereal (corn or rice are my favorite)
- Peanut Butter
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Powdered Sugar
- Easter Candy to mix in
How To Make Muddy Buddies
- First you need to melt the peanut butter, chocolate chips and butter together. It is great to do in a microwave safe bowl with the butter cut into smaller pieces, so it melts faster. Microwave on 30 second intervals, stirring after each time until it is completely smooth and melted.
- Stir in the vanilla extract until it is well incorporated.
- Pour over your cereal. You will need a very large bowl, or you can do a couple smaller bowls if necessary.
- Use a spatula and mix until the chocolate mixture is evenly coating all of the cereal.
- Then working in batches add powdered sugar into a zip top plastic bag and add some of the cereal mixture. Seal the bag and toss to coat all of the cereal.
- Pour onto a baking sheet, and then finish with the rest of the mixture. Let it set for an hour until the chocolate is completely set.
- If you are adding the Easter candy, pour it over the top and mix until it is spread out evenly.
If you want all the flavor with even less work check out these Puppy Chow Bars – same thing in bar form!
Store muddy buddies in an air tight container, I like to use a zip top food storage bag. It will last at room temperature for 1 week.
Or you can Freeze Muddy Buddies by storing them in an air tight container for up to 2 months in the freezer. Just set them on the counter to thaw and enjoy!
More Delicious Easter Dessert Recipes
- French Silk Pie
- Mini Key Lime Cheesecake
- Lemon Brownies
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- No Bake Lemon Cheesecake
- Strawberry Cake
- 1 (12 oz) box Rice or Corn Chex
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup Easter candy, (I used 1/2 cup M&M's, 1/2 & Reese's Eggs)
- In a bowl melt chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter together. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir and heat for 20 second intervals until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour over chex cereal, mixing to coat.
- Using a 2 gallon zip top bag (or 2 batches in a 1 gallon size), toss together powdered sugar and chocolate coated cereal.
- Once well coated, pour onto a baking sheet or wax paper to set up.
- Once it is set up, stir in 1 cup of Easter candy.
Serving Size10 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 632Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 18mgSodium 215mgCarbohydrates 91gFiber 4gSugar 68gProtein 8g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!