Hot Buttered Rum – warm, comforting and full of holiday spices. You can make the hot buttered rum mix ahead of time, give it as a gift or enjoy a drink immediately.
Do you have a drink that reminds you of the holidays every time you drink it? The spices in this hot buttered rum is that drink for me. Every time I drink it I feel like watching Hallmark Christmas movies and baking cookies.
What Is Hot Buttered Rum
This drink is a combination of sugar, holiday spices, butter, rum and boiling water. The spices along with the brown sugar give this drink it’s holiday feel. You can make the mix ahead of time and store it in a mason jar or you can make it to drink right away.
Hot Buttered Rum Ingredients
- Brown Sugar
- White Sugar
- Boiling Water
Sugar – You need both brown and regular white sugar for this recipe. Together they sweeten this drink with a hint of caramel.
Spices – Cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice can be found in the baking aisle and are all common spices. You can always substitute for your favorite holiday inspired spices here as well. Cardamom would be a great addition to this drink!
Butter – A hot buttered rum needs unsalted butter to give the drink a creamy texture. It may sound odd at first to put butter in a drink, but it’s actually delicious!
Rum – You can use silver or gold rum for this recipe. Both work great and if you have a preferred rum, feel free to use it in this recipe.
Hot Buttered Rum Mix
The great thing about this recipe is that you can make the hot buttered rum mix, store it and use it later. It’s also a great gift to give, especially during the holiday season. I have seen mixes at the store you can buy, but it is literally sugar and a few spices, so it super simple to make on your own.
How To Make Hot Buttered Rum Mix
- Measure out your spices and sugar and add them to your mason jar. You will need a pint sized mason jar for this recipe.
- Once you have added all the ingredients, shake the mason jar to combine the spices and the sugar.
- You can now store the mix in the mason jar for later.
How To Make Hot Buttered Rum
- Once you have your buttered rum mix, you are ready to make this festive drink! Grab your mix along with a mug, boiling water and butter.
- Add about 2 Tablespoons of the mix into a mug or glass.
- Add the butter to the mug.
- Then pour in the boiling water. Stir until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Top off your drink with a shot of rum. Stir to combine and enjoy hot.
Do I Have To Add Rum?
No, you don’t have to add the rum to this drink. You can totally enjoy a non-alcoholic hot buttered rum. The recipe doesn’t change, just omit the rum at the end.
Can I Use Something Else Instead Of Rum?
Absolutely! Feel free to use your favorite liquor in place of the rum in this recipe. Vodka or tequila would be great substitutes.
How To Store Hot Buttered Rum Mix
Once you have made the mix, make sure the lid is on tight and store in a cool dry place. The hot buttered rum mix does not need to be stored in the refrigerator.
More Fun Drink Recipes
Hot Buttered Rum Mix
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
Hot Buttered Rum
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 oz rum
- 4 cups cups boiling water
- Whipped Cream, optional topping
- Cinnamon, optional topping
To Make The Mix
- Measure and combine the brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice together.
- Place in a mason jar and shake to mix together. Store in a cool, dry place.
To Make Hot Buttered Rum
- Add 2 Tablespoons of hot buttered rum mix into the bottom of a mug or glass.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of butter to the mug.
- Pour over 1 cup of boiling water and mix to dissolve the sugar and melt the butter.
- Stir in 1 oz of rum. Mix and serve.
- Top with Whipped Cream and cinnamon if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 269Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 32mgSodium 105mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 1gSugar 24gProtein 0g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!