Easy Chocolate Croissants – Use store bought puff pastry to make these flaky homemade croissants filled with chocolate in no time.
When we were in France a couple years ago we all fell in love with croissants and French pastries. We even took a croissant baking class and learned how to make them from scratch. They were over the top buttery, flaky and delicious. Sometimes you just need a little shortcut so you can get to enjoy them again! That is where these come in.
Store bought puff pastry dough is the perfect shortcut to make croissants in just minutes. All you have to do is let the dough thaw and then roll. Couldn’t be much easier. It might not be the exact same buttery taste that you get in France, but it will rival almost any croissant you can find in the US.
Can I Use Croissant Dough Instead of Puff Pastry
Yes, the recipe will work and they will puff up. There aren’t quite the same layers in package croissant dough as there is puff pastry, so they won’t be nearly as flaky. But they will still be buttery and delicious.
If you want to make chocolate croissants from scratch you can just follow the recipe I posted for Homemade Croissants after our class in Paris. It has all the tips and tricks you need to make the perfect croissant dough. To make chocolate croissants in France they use sticks of dark chocolate. Back in the US I have never been able to find those same sticks. So I like to break up pieces of dark chocolate, use chocolate chips, or even spread a little Nutella in the center. Any form of chocolate works.
In France Pain au Chocolate are rolled out of rectangle dough and not triangles like traditional croissants. So that is what I did with these. And just look at all those flaky layers! Trust me you will not be disappointed using this short cut.
How to Make Chocolate Croissants
- Thaw the puff pastry dough for about 40-45 minutes. You want it to sill be very cold, but be able to unfold and work with.
- Cut each sheet along the fold lines, and then in half the other direction. So you will have a total 6 rectangles for each sheet of puff pastry.
- Place about 1 oz of chocolate along the edge of the dough. You can use whatever your favorite chocolate is. Then just roll and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Gently brush each croissant with an egg wash and then bake until golden brown and flaky.
- Once they have cooled for a few minutes dust with powdered sugar.
Croissants are best served the same day. Unfortunately they are not something you can really make ahead or even freeze. So if you just want a few, use only one sheet of puff pastry dough. Save the other sheet in the freezer for when your cravings strike again.
More Chocolate Dessert Recipes to Try
- French Hot Chocolate
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Double Chocolate Cupcakes
- French Silk Pie
- Triple Chocolate Skillet Brownie
- Chocolate Lava Cake
- Gooey Brownie Pie
- 1 package puff pastry (2 sheets)
- 3/4 cup nutella or 12 oz of dark chocolate
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- Thaw puff pastry for about 40 minutes, until it unfolds easily, but is still very cold.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut each sheet into thirds along the fold lines, and then in half the other directions. You will have 6 equal rectangles for each sheet.
- Place about a tablespoon of Nutella or 1 oz of any other chocolate along the base of each rectangle. Roll up over the chocolate and place onto a lined baking sheet.
- Beat egg and water together. Gently brush over each croissant.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before dusting with powdered sugar
Amount Per Serving Calories 112Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 16mgSodium 24mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 2g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!