Carnita Pizza – Leftover Pork Carnitas? Turn it into pizza! Topped with cheese and guacamole
We are slowly getting out for underneath the boxes. Half of our stuff never got unpacked in the townhouse, because we knew we were moving within 9 months. It is nice to find some of this stuff again! My in laws get here in a couple days, so there is still lots that needs to be done.
I made this pizza before we moved. It was a clean out the freezer meal. I froze the leftovers when I made Pork Carnitas. I also had a couple balls of pizza dough in the freezer. I often make a big batch of dough, then wrap up balls of it, and freeze for easy use later. We only moved a couple blocks away, but I still felt the need to clean out the freezer. Not sure why, but just go with me here.
I used the salsa I had in the fridge for the sauce, and kept it pretty basic. Meat, cheese, and sauce. BUT, I topped with guacamole! You really can’t have Mexican food of any kind without guacamole, in my opinion. I could probably find a way to justify avocados with every meal though 🙂
- 1 pound pizza dough, (about 14 inch pizza)
- 2 cups meat from Pork Carnitas, (recipe here)
- 1/2 cup salsa, (your favorite kind)
- 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese
- Guacamole, (recipe here)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place pizza stone in the oven to preheat, if you are using. If not, spray a baking sheet with non stick spray, and sprinkle lightly with corn meal.
- Roll out the dough and place on baking sheet. Bake for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove dough from oven, and spread salsa evenly over the crust.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Spread meat over the cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven, slice, and serve with guacamole.
Amount Per ServingCalories 443 Saturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 41mg Sodium 1318mg Carbohydrates 57g Fiber 2g Sugar 8g Protein 20g