I hope you are ready for another installment of Pass the Cook Book Club! This month is all about Ina Garten. I will admit, previously I think I have only made one of her recipes. I like her, but I have just never gotten very into her recipes. My husband actually gave me her latest cookbook for Christmas, and I bookmarked a few recipes to try. I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.
Barefoot Contessa Foolproof is her latest book, and the one that was selected for this month. I had been eying the Chocolate Chunk Blondies, so when I saw that I was a choice, it was a no brainer for me. I think I even got into the kitchen the next day to make them. I am really not sure why I don’t bake more with chocolate chunks that chocolate chips. The chunks give you so much more gooey chocolate. And if we are being honest here, isn’t the gooey chocolate the best part of dessert?
My 8 year old had a friend over the day I made these. I let each of them have one after lunch, I had one, and immediately got them out of my house. I think I could have easily eaten the whole pan by the end of the day!
- 1 cup butter , softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 pounds chocolate chunks
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts , chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13x9 inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter, brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy; about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and eggs, mixing well. Add flour, baking soda and salt, mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chunks and walnuts, if using.
- Spread dough into prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. You have to be very careful not to overbake them!
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars
Recipe can be cut in half, and baked in an 8x8 inch pan. From Barefoot Contessa Foolproof