Chocolate Waffles – Dessert for breakfast with these rich and chocolate-y waffles that are crisp on the outside and fluffy and tender on the inside.
I am all about having chocolate for breakfast every day of the week. It can be Chocolate Chip Muffins or it can be full on dessert for breakfast like Double Chocolate Cheesecake Muffins. Don’t worry, I don’t discriminate when it comes to chocolate.
These chocolate waffles are super easy to make and they are like having chocolate cake for breakfast. You can top them with ice cream and Hot Fudge Sauce for an over the top delicious dessert as well.
Plus, these waffles have not only one, but TWO kinds of chocolate! Cocoa powder and chocolate chips are both included to make them decadent and extra yummy. You don’t have to worry about these being super sweet though, there is only 2 Tablespoons of sugar in the entire recipe, so they aren’t going to going to cause any sugar highs!
How To Make Chocolate Waffles From Scratch
- Start by mixing together the dry ingredients and whisking to combine.
- In a separate bowl the egg yolk, milk and oil are mixed together until well blended.
- In a 3rd bowl whisk the egg whites until they are soft peaks. You can use a whisk for this or a stand mixer to make it easier.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour until it is combined, and then gently fold in the egg whites.
- Finally gently stir in the chocolate chips until they are evenly distributed.
- Pour batter on a hot waffle iron and cook according to the manufacturers directions.
- Remove cooked waffles and top to your hearts desire!
Chocolate waffles are super versatile to make more like breakfast for more like dessert. So whatever you top them with is up to you!
- Berries – strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are delicious
- Whipped Cream
- Ice Cream
- Strawberry Sauce
- Hot Fudge
- Maple Syrup
- Powdered Sugar
You can make these waffles in a more traditional square waffle iron or a Belgian style waffle maker. It works in both, it really is just your preference.
Did you know you can also Freeze Waffles. I take the leftover waffles and put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer for an hour or two. Once they are frozen transfer them to a freezer safe plastic bag and then you can have waffles any morning of the week!
More Decadent Breakfast Recipes
- Homemade Donuts
- Chocolate French Toast Bake
- Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes
- Apple Cider Donuts
- Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
- Nutella Donuts
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs , separated
- 4 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine milk, egg yolks, and oil.
- Add milk mixture to flour, and stir until combined.
- In another bowl whisk egg white until you have soft peaks, about 3 minutes at medium speed. Fold egg whites into the batter. Finally, add in the chocolate chips.
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick spray. Pour in batter and cook until the light goes off, or about 4 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream, berries, or syrup.
Adapted from No Reason Needed
Amount Per Serving Calories 535Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 131mgSodium 450mgCarbohydrates 67gFiber 6gSugar 20gProtein 15g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!