Italian Dressing Mix – skip buying the store bought packets and make your own at home! Great in recipes, for dressing and you know what is in it!
Those little dressing and spice packets at the store can be a real time saver sometimes. But usually they are loaded with sodium, sometimes they have ingredients you can’t pronounce, and often times added sugar as well.
This is a homemade Italian Dressing Mix, so you can ditch the store bought one. Similar to the Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix, Onion Soup Mix and Homemade Taco Seasoning. Just store in the pantry and grab it whenever you need it!
Why This Recipe Works
- This uses spices you probably already have on hand already, so you can whip it up in no time!
- The little packets have gotten so expensive, so if you have all of these spices at home, this is much more economical as well.
- Makes enough, that you can use some and have it on hand for a couple more uses.
- Make salad dressing or use in a recipe, either way it is on hand and ready when you need it!
- You know what is in it. No MSG, you control the salt, you control the sugar etc.
What You’ll Need
- Dried Oregano
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Parsley
- Black Pepper
- Dried Basil
- Celery Seed
- Dried Thyme
- Red Pepper Flakes
Yes, there is some sugar in this. If you are using it to make dressing, you will want to leave it in. You need the sugar to help cut the acid in the dressing. If you only plan to use it in other recipes, you may be able to reduce the amount or eliminate it.
How To Make Italian Dressing Mix
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
- Measure out all of the spices and mix together.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use
How To Use
Want to make Italian Dressing? Use 2 Tablespoons of dried mix, with 2/3 cup oil, 1/4 cup vinegar (apple cider, red wine etc), and 2 Tablespoons water. Whisk or shake until well blended and serve over a Side Salad or in this Antipasto Chicken Salad.
I like the mix up the herbs in a small mason jar or Tupper wear container. Then I can just shake or stir until everything is well combined. Store sealed in an airtight container in the pantry for 6 months to a year. It really depends on how fresh your herbs were when you started.
Dried spices do not really go bad, they just lose their potency. So if you are using old spices, your dish may be blander than intended, because your spices have lots flavor over time.
Delicious Dinner Recipes To Try
- Cheese Quesadilla
- Crockpot Fiesta Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Cajun Chicken Alfredo
- Taco Spaghetti
- Oven Baked Ribs
- Barbecue Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Salisbury Steak
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Measure all of the ingredients into a small bowl or mason jar.
- Stir or cover and shake until well combined.
- Store in an airtight container for 6-12 months
2 Tablespoons of spice blend = 1 store bought packet
Recipe makes enough to equal 4 store bought packets.
To Make Dressing
Mix 2 Tablespoons of spice blend, with 2/3 cup oil, 1/4 cup vinegar (apple cider or red wine), and 2 Tablespoons water.
Amount Per Serving Calories 36Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 950mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 1g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!