Quick and Easy Skillet Lasagna – Make lasagna perfect for a weeknight meal. Ravioli makes this ready in less than 30 minutes, and pure comfort food everyone will love.
Getting dinner on the table quickly is a must on busy weeknights. Really, any night of the week. Homemade Lasagna is one of my favorite comfort foods, but it can take a long time to make all the parts, assemble and then bake. When I do make it I like to make an extra, so I can have one in the freezer for another time.
But in the mean time this skillet lasagna is ready in one pan, in under 30 minutes, with the same flavors as your favorite!
This easy skillet lasagna makes great comfort food for a cold weeknight meal with minimal ingredients. Using just a few kitchen staples, you can have dinner on the table in a flash without an extra trip to the grocery store. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Italian sausage– I prefer the additional flavors of fennel and garlic that the ground Italian sausage offers, but feel free to use ground beef as a substitute. For a delicious meat-free dish, omit it completely. Hot or mild sausage works based on your families preference.
- Onion– Adds a small amount of texture and sweetness to compliment the flavors of the Italian sausage.
- Cheese ravioli– Use refrigerated, dried, or frozen for this recipe.
- Garlic– Fresh garlic gives the most vibrant flavors, so use it in this recipe if possible. If you’re using minced garlic, strain away the excess oil before adding it to the skillet. In a pinch, garlic powder will also work.
- Pasta sauce– Use your favorite homemade pasta sauce or a jar of store-bought sauce for an even easier dinner.
- Chicken stock– Cooks the cheese ravioli with more flavor than water without scalding the pasta sauce in the skillet. I prefer low sodium because tomato based sauces also tend to have a good amount of salt.
- Mozzarella cheese– Makes for an incredibly stringy and cheesy dish that is pairs well with the ravioli’s melty cheesy flavors.
What Is The Best Order To Layer Lasagna?
Layering can be one of the most time-consuming and frustrating parts of making a traditional lasagna recipe. You have to precook the noodles, precook the meat, mix up the cheese filling, and cross your fingers (and toes) that you don’t tear the noodles into a thousand pieces trying to place them into the pan just right.
Don’t even get me started on making sure you use the perfect amount of each ingredient per layer so you don’t run out of anything before you’re finished.
So, for this Skillet Lasagna recipe, I chose to skip the layering completely! Using premade cheese ravioli saves you the headache of layering the delicate pasta and creating the perfect cheese layer. Mixing in the Italian sausage and the pasta sauce while the ravioli cook ensures you get a little bit of everything all in one bite.
How To Make Skillet Lasagna
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
Can you believe you can have a hearty, well-rounded meal on the table in just three simple steps?
- In a large skillet (make sure it is large enough to add in your pasta sauce, chicken stock, and ravioli as well) brown the Italian sausage over medium high heat. Then add in the onion and garlic. Saute this until the onion is soft and begins to become translucent.
- Next, stir the pasta sauce, ravioli, and chicken stock into the skillet with the browned Italian sausage. Then cover the skillet with a lid and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.
- Finally, top the skillet lasagna with the mozzarella cheese and continue to cook on low heat until the cheese on top is melted.
- Serve immediately for the best melty and cheesy pasta.
Tips And Tricks
- Use premade ravioli. As delicious as homemade ravioli are, the point of this recipe is to save yourself a little time and tedious work in the kitchen. Grab a bag of your favorite premade ravioli
- Grab a jar of premade sauce. I know there’s nothing that can compare to the rich flavors of a homemade marinara sauce. Especially if it is one that has been handed down from someone’s great aunt or grandmother. Sometimes that just isn’t an option. So, keep it simple with a quality jar of premade pasta sauce.
- Skip the meat. Whether you’re on a budget, are short on time, or have someone in your family that lives a Vegetarian lifestyle, you may choose to make this skillet lasagna meat-free. As long as you use a flavorful pasta sauce this recipe will be just as flavorsome as the version with Italian sausage.
- Swap out the pasta. Out of premade cheese ravioli but have a bag of cheese tortellini in the kitchen? Simply swap out the ravioli for tortellini and no one will never know the difference.
- Double it up. If you’re cooking for a large family or want to use this recipe for your weekly meal prep, it can easily be doubled. The only tricky part is finding a pan large enough to accommodate doubled ingredients. As pretty as this dish is served in a skillet, you can also prepare it in a large Dutch oven or stock pot and move it over to a skillet before serving for a more eye appealing presentation.
What To Serve With It
As with most traditional Italian meals, a nice crusty bread or side salad always pairs nicely. Luckily, both of those things can be easily prepared and served in the same amount of time as it takes to cook your main course. If you’re looking for some more ideas to serve alongside this dish, here are a few more options:
- Steamed Broccoli
- Roasted Veggies
- Chilled Zucchini Salad
Make Ahead And Storage
This Skillet Lasagna is one of those meals that is even more delicious the day after you make it. The rich and savory flavors from the Italian sausage and pasta sauce absorb into the pasta noodles overnight and make for an indulgent bite. This recipe will stay just as heavenly as the day you made it for 3-5 days in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.
If you want to freeze this recipe, wait for it to cool and add to a freezer-safe container. Remember that freezing in a thin layer helps any freezer meal to defrost more quickly. If you’re preparing this dish for meal prep only, I would suggest slightly undercooking the pasta so that it doesn’t overcook in the reheating process.
Check Out More One Pan Dinner Recipes
- Spicy Sausage Spanish Rice Skillet
- Mexican Rice Skillet
- One Pan Chicken Spinach Alfredo
- Southwest Chicken Skillet
- Pizza Chicken
- Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet
- Cajun Sausage Pasta
Quick and Easy Skillet Lasagna
Quick and Easy Skillet Lasagna - Make lasagna perfect for a weeknight meal. Ravioli makes this ready in less than 30 minutes, and pure comfort food everyone will love.
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 (9 oz) packages cheese ravioli
- In a large skillet brown Italian sausage over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until onion is soft.
- Stir in pasta sauce, ravioli, and chicken stock. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the pasta is cooked.
- Top with Mozzarella cheese. Heat until melted.
- Serve immediately
Amount Per Serving Calories 528Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 23gCholesterol 76mgSodium 1739mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 4gSugar 14gProtein 28g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Did you know there is a Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts SHOP? Lots of different E-Books for sale. Or you can buy me a coffee to say thanks!
- 4th Of July Poke Cake - June 6, 2023
- Strawberry Jelly - June 5, 2023
- Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla - June 2, 2023
Tuesday 30th of November 2021
This is our new favorite way to eat lasagna!
Tuesday 23rd of November 2021
This is my ultimate favorite recipe!!!
Saturday 20th of November 2021
Mmmm.... Who can resist to this lasagna? It looks amazing!
Thursday 18th of November 2021
This is going to be perfect for a weeknight meal. My family loves lasagna and I'm excited to make this!
Thursday 18th of November 2021
I love this idea so much. It's as fun to eat as it is delicious. It's the perfect family meal. I'll be making this tomorrow!