It may be September, but grilling season is not over! Not by a long shot. We still have temps in the 90′s in Colorado, so I am all about cooking outside, and keeping it cool inside. For us grilling doesn’t really know a season though. Christmas Eve tradition on my husband’s side of the family is to grill steaks. It has been some pretty frigid nights that my FIL has been out there grilling! Do you have a time of year that you put the grill away?
We spent the entire weekend installing a new wood floor in our bedroom. Thursday night we ripped up the carpet, and got it all prepped. Then the fun started on Friday night. I planned ahead for the weekend, and had something in the crock pot, so we could eat whenever we got hungry. I also had a big batch of pasta salad in the fridge. I was not interested in cooking, or running to pick something up when we were starving and tired. Probably one of my best ideas ever. It was so much work, and we were so tired. FYI – get friends to help, it is a lot of work for 2 people. Or better yet? Hire professionals
So what is on the menu this week? Quick and easy. I am tired, sore, and not super interested in cooking. These kebobs, kebabs, or skewers; whatever you want to call them are perfect! All it takes is 20 minutes of hands on time, and you are eating dinner. That is my kind of meal. I love anything that you can eat off a stick, it is just more fun! Plus you get to dip it in a sauce. Even better! I used Greek yogurt in the sauce, so this whole meal is light, packed with protein, and good for you.
- 3 Tbls lemon juice
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 garlic cloves, grated minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, shredded, and drained
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (I used Chobani!
- 1 Tbls lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove, grated or minced
- ¼ tsp dill
- Mix together lemon juice, oregano, olive oil, salt, and garlic in a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, seal, and toss to coat. Set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the tzatziki sauce. In a bowl stir together cucumber, yogurt, lemon juice, salt, garlic, and dill. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Thread pieces of chicken onto skewers.
- Grill for 8 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Serve immediately with tzatziki sauce