Lemon Poppy Seed Bread – a simple quick bread with tons of lemon flavor and a light lemon glaze. A delicious snack with a cup of coffee or an easy breakfast treat.
This post is sponsored by Imperial Sugar. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
Lemons are one of the best parts of winter citrus and spring. And I think in my house they are a very under utilized ingredient. Everytime I make something with them, like Lemon Bars or this Lemon Cheesecake I think, man I should make more things with lemon. And then I forget.
It is such a super versatile ingredient, it works great in desserts or in savory like my all time favorite Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing or Lemon Garlic Shrimp. Well today we are going sweet with a quick bread that just might make you use lemons on a more regular basis!
Click HERE for the full recipe
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Super easy! This recipe doesn’t involve creaming butter, or mashing bananas completely smooth. Just a bowl and a spatula, with very simple ingredients and you can have this ready.
- The perfect amount of lemon flavor. You have fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon extract. But trust me, it isn’t over powering. You get just the right amount of lemon to come through so you know what you are eating, but aren’t blown away.
- This quick bread is definitely more of a snack than a dessert with the amount of sweetness in it. Yes, there is a glaze and that is completely optional. But the bread itself is not super sweet, so it is great with a cup of coffee or a quick breakfast treat.
What You’ll Need
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Poppy Seeds
- Vegetable Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Lemon Zest
- Lemon Extract
- Powdered Sugar
How To Make Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
Click HERE for the FULL recipe
- In a small bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds.
- In a separate bowl whisk together sugar, milk, eggs, oil, lemon juice, lemon extract and lemon zest until it is really well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until everything is just combined. Be careful, you do not want to overmix.
- Pour into a loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes, until a tester comes out mostly clean. You want it to still have crumbs on the knife or toothpick you use to test with. But not actually have batter on it.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the bread is cool, you can make the glaze by mixing together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until it is a smooth and drizzle-able consistency.
- Pour over the bread and then you can slice to serve.
Absolutely! The poppy seeds don’t really affect the recipe that much at all. You will just have a lemon bread then, and it will still be delicious.
Yes, it is really easy to freeze. You can freeze a couple different ways. You can bake the loaf, allow it to cool completely and then wrap in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 3-4 months. Ideally you put the glaze on when you are ready to serve. But the glaze will freeze fine, it will just release some moisture as it thaws.
You can also freeze individual slices, so you can just take out 1 slice at a time to enjoy. Top the bread with the glaze, and then slice. Arrange the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and then freeze. Once the slices are frozen through, assemble them back into a loaf and store in plastic wrap or an airtight container.
It should last for about a week if left at room temperature. It will last a couple days longer if you store it in the fridge. Just make sure it is tightly wrapped so it doesn’t dry out. Frozen it will last for 3-4 months.
Of course! If you want just the bread with no glaze, you are welcome to omit it.
How To Serve Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
This bread isn’t a super sweet dessert type loaf, so it can be a great option for a snack with a cup of coffee or tea. You can serve for a quick breakfast along with Berry Fruit Salad or Orange Julius.
I personally like it served just slightly warm. So I will microwave a slice for about 20 seconds before eating. Up to you if you to decide what temperature you like it best.
More Quick Bread Recipes
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Strawberry Bread
- Pumpkin Bread
- Apple Pie Bread
- Blueberry Banana Bread
- Coconut Lime Bread
- Chocolate Oatmeal Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Bread
I am sharing this recipe over at Imperial Sugar today. Click on Lemon Poppy Seed Bread to get the FULL recipe.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!