Happy Valentine’s Day!! Are you braving the crowds to go out to dinner tonight? We are staying in, and having dinner as a family. I am going to make some fun appetizers for us enjoy. Maybe if you are lucky I will be ambitious and take some pictures. We have one go to appetizers that we have been making for at least 10 years, and I have yet to take pictures of it to share with you. I know, I am a bad blogger! But, I am making it up to you with this pasta.
I made this for dinner on Wednesday night. It is that good, I have to share it with you right away. Usually I am at least a couple weeks ahead of the game with recipes, but this one can’t wait. This pasta is not your average pasta dinner. It is rich and creamy, but there is no butter, cream, or milk to be found. There might be a tiny bit of cheese, but that is really only 2 tablespoons, so it definitely isn’t making anything creamy. You cook the toasted penne like you would risotto! Yep, you warm up some stock, and slowly ladle it in until the pasta is cooked. It leads to the creamiest pasta, that has so much flavor!
When I was making this my husband kept giving me strange looks. He finally said, this looks like the strangest way to cook pasta. I explained how the recipe said to cook like risotto blah, blah, blah. He shrugged and moved on. Then we sat down to dinner, and he was convinced. You could change this up a thousand different ways to match what your family likes. Add in some veggies, leave out the meat, use different meat; whatever you can dream up, just follow this method. I had the leftovers for lunch yesterday, they were wonderful! I am not always in love with leftovers, so for me to say that, it means it was good.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Olive oil
- 12 oz . penne pasta
- 1 small sweet onion , chopped
- 3/4 pound spicy Italian chicken sausage (bulk, or casing removed)
- 2 Tbls fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbls Parmesan cheese
- Oregano leaves (optional)
- In a pot heat chicken stock to a simmer, do not boil.
- In a large skillet, swirl a little olive oil. Heat over medium high heat. Add sausage and onion. Break up sausage, and cook until browned and cooked through. Remove from pan.
- Reduce heat to medium. Swirl about a tablespoon of olive oil in skillet. Add penne tossing to coat in the olive oil. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until lightly toasted.
- Add about a cup of chicken stock to the pan. Stirring freqently, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add another cup of stock. Keep doing this until the pasta is cooked through.
- Add sausage back to the pan. Add Parmesan cheese, squeeze lemon juice over pasta, and season with salt and pepper. Stir and heat until sausage is warm.
- Serve with additional cheese, and oregano if desired.
Slightly Adapted from Cooking Light